Intakes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2003, 01:33   #1 (permalink)
Rehab is for Quitters

Intakes

Today I made a manometer as per Julian Edgars instructions (Autospeed or his book) and tried it on my car. Its a stock (except for extractors) 4.0L 5 speed EB S. The results may surprise! The biggest restriction was the snorkel to the airbox, at
19cm of water (0.26 psi). This was the standard part. With the XH snorkel this only dropped to 18cm (0.25psi) so even though it appears to be quite a bit bigger the standard unit is no worse in terms of flow (on a stock engine at least). Basically, save your money if you think you're going to get much of an improvement out of this thing (it does sound better howeever!). The drop across the filter was only another 10cm (0.14psi) so if you've got a K&N or similar and it made no difference, thats why. The pipe fron airbox to throttle body added another 11cm (0.15psi) for a
total of just over half a psi (0.56 to be exact). Edgar says much over 10cm (0.14psi) is restrictive so it would seem worthwhile to at least try and make up your own less restrictive snorkel MAYBE
(if u can get one cheap or already have one) with a better filter. He claims a 0.5 sec drop 0-100 on a car that originally had a 1psi pressure drop so it might be reasonable to assume 2-3 tenths with a better intake on the Falcon which has a pressure drop of nearly half this.
rextus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2003, 02:05   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Me is confused.

Any chance of you altering your post a little so people like me can understand? The information you've given sounds helpful but I don't really understand.

Cheers,

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 02:28   #3 (permalink)
Torque is cheap

Sundeep, a manotmeter form what i understand is a way of measuring air pressure (in this case restriciton) using a tube and some water (and a few other bits as well - dont have my old issue of Zoom (from back when it was aproper performance magazine) around at the moment). As rextus point out, less restriction equals more power.

Rextus, thanks for some interesting data there mate! I will now have to have a look and see the difference between XH and Tickford snorkels (I fitted a Tickford about eight hours ago).....I reckon that a air duct with a larger opening and ram-effect running from one of the brake ducts in the front bar would work much better and allow a greater cross-sectional area and therefore less restriction than the bonnet gap feed that the snorkles use, but I can't risk sucking water into my engine, so the snorkel stays for now!

I guess at least I have a genunie Tickford bit on my GLi now that I know won't get stolen when i park it at work!

4.0l ! :) 5 speed! :) Gas? :(

Tickford Snorkel and a set of 17's
EL Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 02:33   #4 (permalink)
Rehab is for Quitters

Sorry.
A manometer is a device designed to measure pressure. You can buy them but its just as easy and dirt cheap to make one. The concept is basically like drinking through a straw - you suck on it and the liquid comes up the tube. In this case, its the suction in the airbox (or wherever) thats causing the fluid to rise. There's a formula to work it out, but every 1cm the fluid rises equates to 0.014psi (at sea level anyway). Pressure in your intake (prior to the throttle body) would be roughly atmospheric (approx 14psi) at idle. When you rev it up though, the air can't get through the ducting as quick as the engine could use it - so its restrictive. If the ducting were perfect (leaving out systems like on the EF onwards for the moment) the pressure at the valve would be the same as the pressure at the mouth of the intake for maximum volumetric efficiency. As I've found however, there's about 0.6psi drop even before the throttle body, reducing airflow and therefore power potential. As it stands, the stock setup is giving away somewhere in the region of 6kw, and more if you've increased the airflow (ie;power potential) of your engine. I'm not sure why the EA-ED's have such a small intake snorkel. It might have been to cut down induction noise (the XH snorkel in my car makes a deeper sound that sets off this annoying buzz in the dash that I can't find) but it could equally have been an attempt to keep gas speed up as an aid to bottom end torque. If you've ever driven your car without any of the intake ducting (throttle body open to the air-not really a great idea) this is why the thing actually feels slower - low gas speed through the manifold.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech