Ford Forums banner

its tyre time

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  tickford2001 
#1 ·
yeh its that time again, time to find some new rubber.

what is everyone using, and more to the point what is working well? I have just had a set of goodyear F1's on this time round and found them to be very durable, but the compound is a little too hard. I do a bit of circuit racing and they are just a bit too hard...fantastic in the wet though, the tread pattern is awesome for pumping water.

if anyone has any recommendations it would be great, and also prices if you can remember

cheers, dave

#2 ·
Lets start with what size wheels you have.....

#4 ·
oops sorry bout that!

they are 16 x 8's (tyres are 225-50-16)

oh yeh...thanks FM :)

#5 ·
I'm using pirelli p5000 on my xf. Excellent wet weather, or so im told. Haven't had a chance to test em out properly yet, though I have driven through some pretty big puddles with no hassles at all. Huge spray behind me -- gotta fell sorry for the guy behind me. I don't put my tyres through that much stress, so i can't really tell you what they grip like. Allround though im impressed with them and they seem to be very quite aswell.

#6 ·
are they directional and any idea what they cost you xf???

#7 ·
Im currntly running Yokahama A 359 (asymetrical) in 225 50 ZR16 on my XR6 and found them to be very good.

#8 ·
yeh i have heard good reports about the yokies

do you remember what they were worth?

#9 ·
I also have the A359's and love them. Worth around $160 for 15' and around $180 (I think) for the 16's.

I am surprised that you find the F1's too hard. From what you have said, it seems they have changed the compound on the F1's. I had some on my last car, but the problem was I found them too soft, and went through tyres extremely quickly, but the grip was excellent. I would imagine they have now made the compound harder to give them more life.

#10 ·
tickford2001 said:
are they directional and any idea what they cost you xf???
Yes they are directional and they were about $160ea. this was in 225x60(or50)x15. Not sure the exact size, im a little lazy to go out side and get the size.

I bought them from Bob jane T-Marts and surprisingly there customer service was very very good. You get a lifelong tyre plan to go with your new tyres and your first wheel aligntment is a freebie after you done 5000km. Then you get discounts on further alignments and balances.

#11 ·
Rims 16 x 8 Tyres Toyos 225 50 x 16s yes they are directional, quiet and well up to some of the weights I've carried in the wagon. Just rotate front to rear and rebalance every 5thou and after 25tousand now still a couple of mm off the indicators.

Very happy with them

Paul B
XR6WGN

#12 ·
Hey,

$65 dollar remoulds - 205/65/14. Stoked, car will now pass rego.... And they actually have quite a bit of grip, wet and dry. Most pleased - but they still are new, so we'll see how they wear.....

L8a,
Prud

#13 ·
I am not sure about the price for 16's... but Dunlop FM901's are awesome tyres.

I use them at the drags, on the track, on the road. They are great in the wet, and look cool.

Bridgestone S02's or Toyo proxies are good too. Had a couple of issues with the bridgestones (its a low profile rubber thing), but got new ones under warranty!!

#14 ·
I have Pirelli P5000 on the EA S and had them before on the XF. Previously had Yoko A 509 on XF and they were better. P5000 on EA were a financial choice as they had a real good deal at the time, but I think I'll try the newer Yoko A359 or go back to A 509's next time. A509's had better grip than Pirellis, especially in wet, on XF. Pirelli's get noisy as they wear. It's an acknowledged problem by the tyre dealers I spoke to and they say partial cure is rotations, but I still find them noisier than A 509's. Usually run 34psi all round.

#15 ·
xr6wgn said:
Rims 16 x 8 Tyres Toyos 225 50 x 16s yes they are directional, quiet and well up to some of the weights I've carried in the wagon. Just rotate front to rear and rebalance every 5thou and after 25tousand now still a couple of mm off the indicators.

Very happy with them

Paul B
XR6WGN
The tyres XR6WGN is talking about (I think) are Proxes FZ4's, which are pretty good, (You must be flogging them, Paul, to only get 25K). They aren't the cheapest on the market but....

I Have Nexen N2000's which seem to be wearing extremely well...

#16 ·
Jesmol,

Should have said they were FZ4's, I had a good look at them this arvo and its probably 3-4mm off the indicators, hopefully I'll get another 10-15 thou out of them.

Anyway back to it

Paul B
XR6WGN

#17 ·
Thanks for your help everyone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.