Just wont start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2006, 18:00   #1 (permalink)

frown Just wont start

Hi
I have a 98 EL falcon that just wont start, recently had the dizzy and rotor changed, the motor will kick over but just wont start any suggestions please.
ford_girl_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2006, 18:29   #2 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Re: Just wont start

Need much more information:

a)Has it started at all since you replaced the distributor and rotor (did you make sure you didn't change the timing when removing and replacing the dizzie)?
b) Why did you replace them; was it an attempt to start it or an unrelated problem?
c) Have narrowed it down to either ignition or fuel?
d) Have you tried reading the self diagnosis fault codes yet?
e) How old is the fuel filter (could it be blocked?)?
f) Is there a spark at the plugs (remove one, reconnect High Tension lead, rest it against the head and see if you see a spark when you turn the engine over)?
g) After trying to start for a while are the plugs wet or dry (is fuel getting into the cylinders)?
Old 03-11-2006, 18:52   #3 (permalink)

A) No it hasnt started since replacing them
B) Because the same thing happened about 2mths ago and i was told that it it wasnt the coil it was the dissy so yeah thats way
c) I think it might be a fuel prob
d) ?
e) i dont think it has be change for a while, have got one to replace it just a matter of doing it
f) sparks r fine from the plugs
g) havent look but will

thanks
Old 03-12-2006, 00:59   #4 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Change the filter anyway; it can only help. You didn't say if you set the engine at Top dead centre before removing the dizzie and if you put the new one in exactly the same position as the old one with the rotor/cam angle sensor pointing to exactly the same position(without turning the engine over in the meantime). In any event the timing is likely to out just a little bit after a dizzie is replaced but it should still run. I would check the dizzie cam sensor is in the correct position first.

With the engine at Top dead centre (line up TDC mark on crank pulley) on compression stroke the angle between the thick film module that sticks out the side of the distributor should be at 60 degrees to the rocker cover rail (or a line drawn lengthways through the engine). At the same time the rotor should be pointing to the number one plug).
If the timing was out once you get it running to get the timing exactly right you will need to use a timing light and set it to specs while in the self diagnostic mode. So there are several reasons you will need to learn how to do put it into self diagnostic mode (to set the timing and extract any fault codes). What if any workshop manual are you using? If you tell me I may just be able to refer you to the relevant pages.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:03   #5 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Start here http://www.auto-diagnostic-codes.com...njection.html?
Old 03-12-2006, 01:04   #6 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

then see http://www.auto-diagnostic-codes.com...EO-Falcon.html and http://www.auto-diagnostic-codes.com...ER-Falcon.html
Old 03-12-2006, 13:01   #7 (permalink)

Thanks umm im using Max Ellery's Vehicle Repair manual Falcon/Fairlane
Old 03-13-2006, 02:53   #8 (permalink)

Hmm,
dizzy replacement. did you disconnect the leads from the dizzy cap?
common problem is to be 180 degrees out, or incorrect rotation direction.
Its kicks, but wont start, tells me one of the above two is the problem.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:01   #9 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

I am assuming you have an inline 6 cylinder engine not a V8; let me know either way.

In any event, assuming it is an inline 6. Did you follow the procedure on the botton of page pages 115 & over on page 116 of the Max Ellery manual when you replaced the distributor (i.e put at Top dead Centre mark location etc? Even if you did ,the timing is likely to be slightly out.

So to start let's assume the timing is slightly out and that is the cause of the no start. If so if you loosen the clamp bolt and twist the distributor back and forth you should be able get it started albeit it will run roughly. Once started you can follow the procedure on pages 12 and 115 to reset the base timing more precisely.

Unfortunately the Max Ellery Manual is not very useful in circumstances where the dizzie was not removed and replaced with care to ensure the engine was at TDC with the rotor pointing at the lead position for plug one one removal and replacement (but if so we can fix it). Let us know how confident you are about this (i.e the dizzie was removed and replaced with the rotor in an identical poition so the timing was not jumbled significantly).
Old 03-13-2006, 19:15   #10 (permalink)

k well i finaly found out what it was it was the coil so yeah but thanks for your input till next time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech