K&N Filters - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2001, 11:08   #1 (permalink)
Oz

K&N Filters

Hi,

I am thinking of putting a K&N rampod style filter in my XR6 (EF) and would just like your thoughts. Is it worth the hasle, will it free up some power? Also, how much do they cost and can anyone install them?

Thanks,

OZ
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2001, 07:35   #2 (permalink)
Australian EF1 XR8 Member

Oz,
From what I have heard, a rampod won't do much if you don't put some sort of shield around it to stop it from sucking all the hot air from the engine bay. I have seen a couple with some thin sheet metal riveted to the engine bay to act a a shield.

Check out the tech pages about the cold air intake from the front bumper that goes into a hole that has to be cut in the panel under where the airbox sits. I guess with the sheilding and a proper cold air intake it just might work.

Might be worth getting it dynoed before and after to see if there is any difference.
timbo ef1xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 23:10   #3 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

^5 Oz,
I bought a K&N pod & stung me $347!!!!!, mind you i have a 80mm maf... & yes they do a marked improvement across the rev rnange but you HAVE to shield,duct or enclose it in a box so it doesnt suck in hot air from the engine bay or radiator "fan wash"
cheers bro
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2001, 08:11   #4 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

HI OZ,
I HAVE AN ED XR6 & I HAVE MADE THE MODS YOU ARE ASKING ABOUT. IF YOU WANT TO SEE SOME PICS THAT MIGHT GIVE YOU SOME IDEAS SEND ME AN EMAIL TO
[email]tikfd6@hotmail.com[email],or
[email]krmorley@tpg.com.au[email].
CHEERS
KERRY
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2001, 08:17   #5 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

HI AGAIN OZ,
REGARDS TO MY LAST, I AM RUNNING AN 80mm FINER FILTER RUSH RAM POD(ABOUT $180), IT GAVE ME BETTER THROTTLE RESPONSE & 50km MORE FROM A TANK OF FUEL. IN MY OPINION A GREAT INVESTMENT WITH A BIT OF WORK(SHEILDING).
CHEERS
KERRY
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2001, 13:58   #6 (permalink)

Hi ya, I have just this weekend finished installing a 5inch S & B pod filter to my 4.0ltr - am still trying to sort out a decent box/sheild for it.. however it is a dual filter so it sucks from the top also which allows for a 3inch hose to be attached to ram cold air stright into it. So even without the sheild or box so far I have noticed a good performance increase. This will hopefully get even better once I sus out how to keep the rest of it from sucking the warm engine air. Only thing I had to get was a 75mm elbow hose to go from throttle body to filter with a piece of pvc pipe go inbetween for clamping. With the help of Kerry (TIKFD6)- cheers bud! - I was able to source one at a truck parts shop - little tip... elbow hose is easier to squeeze on when engine is hot! hope this is of some help.
KSK
kiwi skid kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 23:22   #7 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

Hi,

I have a K&N Pod Filder in my ED XR8.
I got it for christmas, and was also given a bracket to mount it to my car. (I know the air filter was under $50 cos my ex bought it at trade price)

I fitted it myself (it wasnt too hard cos the bracket was custom made and everything just bolted together)

http://members.optushome.com.au/xr8chic/images/engine.jpg

:-)
Kelli S
XR8chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech