K&N Panel Filters - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2002, 11:18   #1 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

K&N Panel Filters

I know similar topics have been discussed before but I would like some views in a straight question please.

I have a '90 EA Falcon S MPEFI 5speed with 2.5'' exhaust which is going alright, anyhow the air filter in the box is the same one that came with the car when it was new i think, and its time for replacement maybe.

Im considering getting the K&N Panel Filter as a replacement which costs $115.00. Do you guys think that this is worth doing for car intake and some sort of performance increase only if minimal. I am not after a pod filter but would just like to replace my current panel filter.

Cheers guys.
gmanEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2002, 18:11   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

You won't notice huge improvements (2-3rwkw), but throttle response will be better throughout the entire rev range. When you factor in the cost of replacing the factory airfilter every service, in the long run you will be out in front.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 18:38   #3 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

As a matter of interest, my thing made 5 or more HP on the dyno with a finer filter compared to a brand new genuine Ford filter.
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 06:58   #4 (permalink)
Proud BA XR6 Owner!

Hey gmanEA,

I have an EF1 with a K&N air filter. As said by others, you wont notice incrediable performance benifits, but you will notice that the car runs smoother, and idle a bit better. Also, you economy will hopefully be helped (I know mine was:)) I found that the filter wasn't so much for performance, but as an aid for the engine to run better for the whole shot.

One thing i found amusing is that when i installed mine, i also cleaned my throttle body and ISC. The first few starts it ran like shit (I thought i screwed somthing) but i was only the ECU getting used to it. Give the intake system a once over when u put the filter in (Coz u silly if u dont) and give the ECU a week. After that u should be sitting pretty.

Hopefully u will run 10's (LOL!!!!!!)

Take it easy,

Chris
TOX|C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 10:37   #5 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

Thanks guys for your replies, they have been most encouraging. I rang repco and they gave me a price of $165, i asked for $120 and they wouldnt do it, the lowest they would go is $145 - to which I said no thanks.

I rang a place in nunawading and they will sell it to me for 100.00 which i am happy with. I will give the intake a nice clean, but its pretty clean anyhow. As with the ECU will it get used to it and adjust? I have '90 MPEFI S and i dont understand much about the ECU anyhow.

As for the 10's we can only hope lol.

Glenn
gmanEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 02:07   #6 (permalink)
Proud BA XR6 Owner!

Read

The ECU will adapt, just give it a bit of time.

I found within two to three starts, and approx 15 minute drives for those first few, it adapted really well!!

Take note though, now that u will be running an oil based filter, you will need to clean your throttle body more often.

Take it easy

Chris
TOX|C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 23:44   #7 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Save the $$$ & buy a K&N Filtercharger (Pod) as long as its fed Cool air you'll be happy. From memory they were about $300 odd
Cheers

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 23:57   #8 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

Quote:
Originally posted by gmanEA
Thanks guys for your replies, they have been most encouraging. I rang repco and they gave me a price of $165, i asked for $120 and they wouldnt do it, the lowest they would go is $145 - to which I said no thanks.

I rang a place in nunawading and they will sell it to me for 100.00 which i am happy with. I will give the intake a nice clean, but its pretty clean anyhow. As with the ECU will it get used to it and adjust? I have '90 MPEFI S and i dont understand much about the ECU anyhow.

As for the 10's we can only hope lol.

Glenn
I bought one a few years ago for my EF, around $100-00 was the going price back then.
Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 05:47   #9 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

I bought mine from Supercheap auto for $109.

Shop around, $160 is too much, they average around $120 - $130
Old 08-30-2002, 01:50   #10 (permalink)

Just bought a K&N Filtercharger replacement panel air filter (AUII XR8) for $95.
From Quickfit exhaust in Sydney.
Seems to be the best price around.

By the way:
How long will it take for the computer to adjust to the extra air flow. K&N recomends disconecting the battery from the car (computer) to reset it, as the quickest method.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech