key sticks in ignition in cold weather - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2007, 15:44   #1 (permalink)

confused key sticks in ignition in cold weather

Just bought a used 2005 Ford Escape LTD. Key sticks in ignition in cold weather. Comes right out when warm weather. Bought in warm spring, cold snap came key would not come out, took it in and it was warmer out and key would not stick. They still replaced key lock, ignition, etc. All was fine until next cold snap and now key is stuck in ignition again. This is getting old. have had car only a few weeks. I suspect when it warms back up the problem will go away until next fall but I do not like this. Any suggestions to take back to the dealer?
toylady000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2007, 19:51   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: key sticks in ignition in cold weather

These key cylinders come with thick grease in them. Spray with WD40, run the key in and out several times to help loosen the wafers. They may not have really replaced it, but who knows for sure. You may want to do the WD40 several times over a week period, then follw up with a good lubricant that is silicone or teflon based.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 13:05   #3 (permalink)

frown Re: key sticks in ignition in cold weather

Key still will not come out, it is Easter weekend so the car will not go into the dealer till maybe Tuesday, Wednesday (busy work week). We do think they took out the whole cylinder, replaced the keys, etc. at our 3 day visit to the dealer. I recently read that leaving the key in the ignition can drain the battery. Could this be a security issue holding it in place somehow? We see no sign of a dealer or an aftermarket security system installed. The key fob just locks and unlocks the doors. No sign of an alarm. I need help here.
Old 04-08-2007, 14:55   #4 (permalink)
Always the student

Are you able to turn the key switch all the way to the off position?
Old 04-08-2007, 21:10   #5 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Sounds to me like it's not going all the way to the "Off" position like thefonz said.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:29   #6 (permalink)

mad Re: key sticks in ignition in cold weather

The key can go no further towards OFF than it is going. It worked fine on warm days. Now it is cold it is doing it. ONLY when it is cold out.

We suspect this is a security issue with the vehicle and plan to take it into the dealer again come Wednesday. Hope it stays cool out so it does not suddenly pop out and make us look foolish again. (what am I saying, it is spring??) But this is a real pain. A fairly new car and already a pain in the ass.
Old 04-09-2007, 15:51   #7 (permalink)
Always the student

If it's not going all the way to the off position, most likely cause is a solenoid under the shroud that needs replaced. You could just remove it, but proper fix would be to replace it.
Old 04-09-2007, 16:38   #8 (permalink)

confused Re: key sticks in ignition in cold weather

I tried turning it further toward off than I had ever done but no go. The key seems "locked" in place. It has been stuck in the ignition since at least Friday and the only common thing has been that it is COLD outside. It comes out in warm weather only. Even after driving the car for awhile does NOT warm it up enough to release the key. I thank goodness I have the key fob to lock and unlock the door but I work in a higher crime area and have to drape stuff over the dash to hide a key dangling.

I will attempt to get the car into the dealer on Wednesday but that leaves me with my beater that is sounding pretty puny right now. I am gonna need a loaner. Yeah, right. This blows.

Got the car at CarMax less than 30 days ago. It had the price, milage, features we wanted and really want this to work. Do ya think it could be a problem car? One OTHER thing. We DID notice when we bought the car that the ignition did seem to stick out a bit more than normal looking.

Could this car have an underlying problem prior to our buying it and is going to never get resolved? I need to knwo what to say to the mechanics to make this my LAST trip there.

By the way, my guy is an old gear head with many cars under his belt and is also perplexed. This is not just a gal who cannot figure out how to turn off the key.

Waiting with baited breath for all your help.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:46   #9 (permalink)
Always the student

Post #7 is still your most likely cause. Have your gear head remove the shroud and look for the solenoid and remove it.
Old 04-13-2007, 18:34   #10 (permalink)

Well, due to hell week at work I have not had the luxury to take the the truck in. BUT, I have found out how to get the key out "most" of the time now.

It had not always been going back as far as it should every time and I found turning it back toward on and back again will cause it to release most of the time. But I still find this to be most prevelant in cold weather. It still sucks and I do not feel happy about this so as soon as I can, I will take it in.

Thank you for all your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech