Late model engine and auto into XT wagon - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2003, 23:02   #1 (permalink)
MrSquiggle

confused Late model engine and auto into XT wagon

Hello everyone. I'm considering installing a late-model 5.0W and 4-spd auto into my XT wagon. I know the motor will fit straight in, but what about the auto? What major mods, if any will i need to do? Its currently got an XD 4.1 with a column shift auto. Will i need to go to a floor-shift t-bar, or can i still get away with the column-shift (bearing in mind it has one gear less).
Or should i just forget the late-model auto, and fit an EFI head onto an earlier Winsdor, and keep the b/w45?
HELP! any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2003, 04:18   #2 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Where are you located,is there anybody near you that has done EFI conversions,I myself have an XW wagon that I would like to install an 5.0 EFI and manual into there are a few blokes near my area that would do this as for mods I would say do your homework and get lot's of knowledge from people who have a good rep for EFI, Castlemaine Rod Shop are supposed to be pretty good if not they may be able to point you in the right direction, let me know how you go because like I said I would like to do this in the near future, good luck.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 04:27   #3 (permalink)
MrSquiggle

thanks

Thanks for ur reply. I'm located in melbourne, ironically just around the corner from Ford broadmeadows. I can get into contact with Rod Hadfield from Castlemaine Rod Shop through the friend of a friend, but till then i'll keep my research up. Keep getting told different answers, so it might take a while.....
Old 06-08-2003, 05:41   #4 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Yeah sound's like me, eventually I will get around to doing this.all the best.
Laser a maser.
Old 06-08-2003, 22:03   #5 (permalink)
XR9UTE

Hey mr squiggle,

Check my website. At the bottom of the page is a link to my article on my 351W EFI XR. You should have minimal problems fitting the BTR trans. I used an American AOD in mine which is quite large. The only problem you may have is clearance of off-the-shelf headers as the starter is on the left hand side of the engine in 5.0 Falcons. Unless you can make a 4th position for your column shifter(suppose you could try and adapt a XF-H ute setup?) a floor shift is it for you.

Pete.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:34   #6 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Good reading XR9UTE, I like the sound of your XR falcon, that's very similar to what I was thinking of doing to my XW.Execpt using a 5.0 litre out of a late model XR8.
Laser a maser.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:44   #7 (permalink)
XR9UTE

No wuckers Galaxy,

I wish it still existed. Ahh well EECIV controlled big block '69 XR7 Cougar is my replacement.

Cheers,
Pete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech