Latest Mod....Gas! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2004, 07:09   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Latest Mod....Gas!

Hey guys,

As some of you may know I've been slowly converting my car to gas since the start of this year. I picked up most of the parts from wreckers, and made my own wiring loom by sorting out some old looms from various systems. I ended up picking up the same gas converter and mixer used in the Tickford factory fitted kit used on EDs and in factory Commodore kits.

Well anyway, I decided to go to a professional for fitting of a tank and some lines. This would have been safest option, and the installer will also be putting a AAFRB (Australian Alternative Fuels Regulation Board ..i think) compliance plate on the car.

Got the tank, lines and flexi hose fitted and we started the car almost first go. There are only a couple of problems at the moment but I am stoked to say the least. The car runs very smoothly on gas and petrol, although a 15%(ish) power loss is noticable while running on gas, and about 10%(ish) on petrol. If I want to go to the drags or get my power back, I can easily remove the mixer and it'll unleash all 139kW of glory again

Total cost of the parts is as follows:

-IMPCO EB-2 model converter $50
-IMPCO 225 mixer $45
-APA 60 or so litre tank $120
-Various wiring, gauges, hoses and lock-off $10
-IMPCO Commander gas ECU $12
-Gas line & tank fitting. I'm yet to be billed for this but it's around $250.

Filling up for $20....Priceless

All up it has cost me around $450ish. The actual system I've got I'm told is worth around $2000, and gas conversions these days are around $1800-$2000.

Anyways, sorry for the long post I'll get some pictures when I get my camera back.

Cheers,

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2004, 07:46   #2 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Re: Latest Mod....Gas!

Mate its already started to pay for itself... Good Work..

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 14:47   #3 (permalink)
E-Series wagon owner

is this the type that sits in the boot? coz i'm trying to get one that don't take up any boot space, oh yeah and how'd you get hold of the tank? all wreckers i got too don't have gas tanks fitted in the cars

Mods to come: 2.5'' lukey cat-back mandrel bent exhaust with 1 resonator and 1 straight thru muffler, EF cam, Clear indicatros all round, AU3 XR snorkel, 17" Keizzer rims, EDxr front,12"sub,sports wheel

In Progress: EF door trims

Pics Here: www.edwagon.tk
mad_ea_spac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 16:42   #4 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Bloody great Sunny, I wish I had intelligence like that. I've just started planning to save for the $2-3k I'll need. :sad:

I too would prefer a tank which takes up no boot space - the 2 options are a direct petrol tank replacement (which has rear safety issues) or a spare wheel well tank which is on the small side.

On the topic of LPG, I've been really curious about an emerging technology which is basically MPI gas, with similar or better performance to petrol. But I suppose with any carby or CFI gas system it would be possible to upgrade to that down the track.
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 17:02   #5 (permalink)

Great stuff Sunny! You sure can save alot of money if you have the knowledge to do these things yourself. Champion effort

Ash
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 17:03   #6 (permalink)
gone

It would be a good idea to draw up a guide and have it posted on how you sourced the parts, what parts and any contacts you used.

Seems for the price you payed and the outcome it could benefit many.

Top effort
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 17:09   #7 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Sunny bought the car at auction then stripped what he wanted sold the rest, seems the easiest way to source parts.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 17:34   #8 (permalink)

good stuff sunny, thats the exact reason i purchased a car on Dual Fuel.
I knew i woudln't be able to cope with the $80 fuel bill my car would rack up each week if i was driving on Petrol (i do ~800km's a week) so got the car on dual fuel when purchased, managing to get 400km's from a tank of 68litres usable LPG is very good in my mind (with 3.45 diff). As proven from Heathcote multiple times the difference in performance with LPG has shown about .5 second lost with having the mixer in the intake :o
.5 seconds difference running petrol to running LPG (both with mixer obviously)
this is with a simple mixer setup that is to say, cheap by the way LPG setups go. but it has proved reliable and cost effective in the 1.5 years i've owned the car.
lets just say that i've saved multiple $1000's by using lpg :)

Now its time to get straight LPG in the form of GRA, if only i could get it done as cheap as you did sunny :)
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 20:11   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellboy999
Sunny bought the car at auction then stripped what he wanted sold the rest, seems the easiest way to source parts.
The only gas related parts I got out the wreck were the tank and filler line. I didn't even get to use the tank because some parts were missing. I ended up buying the APA tank on the spot as I couldn't be bothered looking for lost parts. I have since found the missing bits. If anyone's interested in a tank, I have a McMillan brand one in good condition. Only want $40 or so, it has a year and half left. I paid $120 for the APA.

Jack, you'll find that gas tanks are very safe. The guy who installed my tank and lines said that a truck could run over the back of the car and the car would be wrecked but the tank would be sitting there shining lol. Probably exaggerated but anyway.

If you're really desperate for boot space ever, it's just 2 pipes and 4 bolts you have to remove to get it out. The boot space doesn't come in handy that much, the only trouble we've had with Mum's car over the 10 years it's been on gas is that it wont take 2 big suit cases when we've dropped a couple of people at the airport.

The problems I've had aren't that big. The first being the ISC. It get's it's power through the injectors, so when they are switched off when the gas is running, the idle speed isn't controlled. I have to grab 12v from the relay and splice it in to the ISC. The second I am worried about, but it is probably minor. The gauge isn't working properly. The under-dash gauge reads what's on the tank gauge, and the tank gauge is reading empty continuously. My mechanic should know what it is though.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 20:33   #10 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Well I don't dispute that Sunny, because my EL had a big smash at the back and the guy who bought the APC tank said that the tank was the only reason the back held its shape at all.

I prefer the underfloor set-up to avoid losing features like folding rear seats, and lower centre of gravity won't do any harm. :o)
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech