Live axle (rear) camber kits for AU - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2001, 17:14   #1 (permalink)

Live axle (rear) camber kits for AU

Simply, where can i get one and who can install it properly without any wheels falling off my car in a few weeks?
MrPlow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2001, 18:35   #2 (permalink)
Ford Member

hi
why are you fitting a camber kit to the rear of an AU falcon it has a fully adjustable rear end and it wont need it i might off misunderstood but if it is a beam axle rear end well something is bent or the chassis is bent
regards john

johnmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 10:51   #3 (permalink)

hmmm... i don't know, but that doesn't look very adjustable to me. it's just an axle with wheels attached to it. maybe we're not talking about the same thing, because nothing's bent, and that's not an issue at all. i just want something like 1.5 degrees of camber so the car sticks to the road better.
Old 09-17-2001, 13:28   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

hi
ok lets get some thing straight here what type of car do you have and does it have irs rear end if it has you can adjust the the camber of the rear wheel but if you doo that you will start wearing the tyres out and i pressure you are taking about the rear
please let me know
thanks
johnmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 13:57   #5 (permalink)

no irs - as i said in the title it's a live axle, ie. solid axle. i wish it had an irs but no such luck. yes, i know it'll wear out the tyres on the inside, but nothing simple tyre rotation can't slow down. my front wheels are cambered by about 1.5 degrees (or were until ford screwed it up) and the difference in handling is quite noticable. with camber, there's hardly any understeer but it's noticable without it. i say it's worth it.
Old 09-17-2001, 17:42   #6 (permalink)

In my limited engineering mind I would think the money you would spend to get your rear end modifyed - you would be better off spending it on springs and shocks.

i imagine you would have to strip the diff and weld in the shims to adjust the camber, not only that but would changing the camber also change the angle of the axles sitting inside the diff??. If yours was a V8 supercar I would say "do It" but I doubt you would see any real benefits driving on our second rate roads.
Just my two bobs worth

Paul B
xr6wgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 17:50   #7 (permalink)

CRIKEY!
what i got from a few people is that it's a pretty simple process. one person said i'd have to bend the axle to give me camber! uhm, i don't think so! but i mean, if it involves major mechanical work, i'm not going to bother, i'll just get a decent swaybar down the back and that's it. i've already got koni shocks and whiteline springs as it is, but i always want more.
Old 09-17-2001, 19:18   #8 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

The stiffer the rear end, the more oversteer you'll introduce, so you may not need a much bigger rear sway bar.
Venom XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 19:21   #9 (permalink)

I have heard of bending the diff housing but I don't think too many people can really do this in their backyard.
One thing you can do (that is if they don't already do it) is to keep the standard rear sway bar and just rebush it with nolathane, another trick that used to work with the earlier models (which is basically the same setup)is to rebush the watts linkage with nolathane - should tighten up the back end without upsetting the balance too much.

see yah
Paul B
xr6wgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 04:03   #10 (permalink)

I think what you are dancing around here is the upper control arm geometry upgrade to reduce "roll steer". Whiteline automotive (Selbys Swaybars) make it its @$200. comes with modified arms and brilliant nylon non slip bushes. I did the mod on my EF.

I had to redrill the pivot points on the axles.

However, your AU already comes with multi drill holes. get under your car and look, just behind the spring housings where the upper control arm bolts to the axle.

Ford introduced the multi pivot holes on the EL, so you don't have to do any drilling (WHEW!!) but the arms should still make a difference - ring whiteline.
redwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech