Ford Forums banner

Loan of Engine Crane (Brisbane)

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  plarsson 
#1 ·
I need to take the engine out of my F100. It doesn't fit in the garage so I can't do the usual trick off one of the beams with a block and tackle.

I'm hoping someone out there has one they would loan me for a weekend or two (or sell cheaply). I have a block and tackle if anyone has a demountable gantry that would be suitable, but an engine crane would be the preferred option.

thanks

#2 ·
Rally,

I have a engine hoist you can borrow for the weekend if you like. Just have to let me know when you need it. Not quite sure if it will be big enough or High enough to ge tthe motor out. The arm where it pivots comes up to about shoulder hieght so the end with the engine reaches up to around 8 or 9 foot of the ground.

David

#4 ·
good tip when removing engines out of big cars/small trucks is to deflate the tyres a fair bit, that will usually get you about 15-20 cm more space, its a great help.

#5 ·
or take the shocks out and wheels off - place timber under the brakes to protect em - a mate did this to his F350 with high lift made it way easier

another 1 ive heard of (never seen this one tho) a bloke my mate knows cut the radiator support off so he could take the grille, rad support, radiator etc off allowing heaps more room (the donk doesnt have to be lifted as high) he simply welded mountings to the radiator support, and bolted it back in rather than welding incase the motor has to come out again

G
#6 ·
When I did the engine swap in my 78 F100, I pulled the whole front clip off, bonnet, guards, bumper, radiator support. That made lifting and working on the engine way easy. also meant that i could attack the cancer hiding on the firewall behind the guard brackets. F100/350's are as easy to play with as meccano sets. Just a bit bigger and heavier. No need to cut nothing.

Once the gaurds are off there are only 2 bolts holding the front radiator support to the chassis.

I made up a 3 pole Teepee like gantry with a block and tackle. and rolled the truck to it , unbolted the engine, lifted the engine high enough to clear the sump and rolled the truck back. Yes I was working alone. Yes you do have to support the gearbox, bit of chain around the chassis rails and cradling underneath the bellhousing of the gearbox does the trick.

Glad its you and not me, been there done that too often.

Pez

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.