Ford Forums banner

locking ignition

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Eu-GenixX 
#1 ·
hey guys...i've got a problem with my ignition...i had it replaced about 7 months ago for exactly the same thing...
i put the key in...and it won't go in all the way...or turn...
it's like the whole ignition has just seized

any ideas

the car is parked at the local BP atm...can't start it to drive it home..:(

#2 ·
this happened to me - the ignition lock ceased. i rang the racv, they took the lock off and let me start the car to get it home and fit a new lock myself. you need to disassemble the steering column trims and undo a headless bolt - nothing 10 minutes with a screwdriver and a hammer cant do.

cost: $29 for an aftermarket barrel.

hope this helps

Jase

#4 ·
nah i haven't...had anything heavy on my keys...
just my alarm button...and 3 keys...thats it...

about 2 weeks ago i added my house keys tho...hrmm
i hope it's covered by warranty...coz i can't afford the 200 bucks they charged me last time....coz the whole ignition barrel and lock and everything was completely stuffed and ceased..practically replaced the whole ignition

#7 ·
The same thing happened to me not long after I bought my Fairmont. I gave the ignition barrel a couple of good whacks and the key turned. Took it to a locksmith, they pulled the barrel out and checked it, it turned out to be a bent pin in it somewhere. They didn't charge me to fix it, so $200 is a complete rip off!!!

#9 ·
Well I don't know about EAIs but in EAIIs to remove the barrel, the key has to be in and in accessory position. This was a pretty stupid idea because there would be no reason to remove it unless it was broken, and if it was broken how would you get it in to acc position?

Sundeep

#10 ·
heh...yeah..that is a good point there sundeep..

well i got my car fixed...had the whole ignition barrel and lock completely replaced....again...cost nothing this time

but...24 hours later...my car decided to spit out the new one too..

so now Ford here what to see my whole car to see what the f**k is goin on...shall keep you all posted...

atm i got no ignition barrel or anything...i can start it with a screwdriver...heh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.