Loud tappets - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2002, 17:22   #1 (permalink)

mad Loud tappets

Hey,
I have falcon ea with a 3.9 CFI motor which makes a loud ticking sound directly related to engine speed. Sometimes the sound will just stop and then come back and later. I used to be able to stop it by just giving the engine a few revs. But not it just comes on most of the time.

Does this sound like the tappet adjusters? If so how hard are they to change.

Thanks!

Jez
rallyboy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2002, 18:08   #2 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Yeah I have the same problem. Quite a loud tap for say 5-10 taps then goes away. It sometimes comes back although very quiet but goes away after a few bursts of the throttle. It was fine before I drove for a thousand km with engine flush in the oil.
Im not sure exactly what is the problem but Im sure someone will reply as its quite common with the Ea.
Old 09-04-2002, 20:10   #3 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

I think you will find its time for an adjustment ( new shims ) and probably also a new timing chain ( stretched )

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 20:14   #4 (permalink)

I thought the tappets where not adjustable and must be replaced if faulty?

jez
rallyboy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 20:14   #5 (permalink)
Tickford EL XR6

It sounds like your tappets are a different shape to what the were originally, as they have "mushroomed" from being continuously banged on the head and this causes poorer lubrication and the noise you are hearing. Nothing you can do to stop this from happening, it happens with these lifters.
Replacing the oil with some quality synthetic stuff might help you if they are not too bad, otherwise, try some engine flush (ask a decent mechanic about that) as it gets rid of the gunk in there (sometimes), but you don't drive around on it (as you probably are aware NZ).
Shims should work, but a better solution is to replace the lifters with new ones. This is hard to do yourself, unless you have the right tool, and is a bit costly to pay for. My advice, try the engine/oil flush if the noise really gets to you, but use quality oil from now on (btw you should always use quality oil regardless of what condition the engine is in).

james
Tickford6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 21:10   #6 (permalink)
Death to Camry's!

To my knowledge, when the engine starts, it is perfectly normal for it to tick for a few seconds before the engine gets to optimum oil pressure. Because it has hydraulic lifters, it requires a few seconds for the oil to move and gain the pressure needed. I suppose that this would be different depending on the oil viscosity. etc.
MightyEFGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 21:38   #7 (permalink)

Tappets

I have the same problem with my EA. I recommend that you flush the engine then put good quality oil and an oil stabiliser like Lucas.

Then replace the oil after only 2000-3000km. I used Penrite HPR30. Also put more Oil stabiliser in.

This fixed my problem and my tappets were making a lot of noise.
chris_ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 06:52   #8 (permalink)
PAST EA TYCOON

i agree with chris_ea, mine was doing the same thing, i just kept changing the oil every 2000km and after the 3rd change, it hasnt done it since.
SOLD
EvilEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 18:13   #9 (permalink)
Proud BA XR6 Owner!

dont EA's have lifters rathers than tappets??? Cant they get replaced????

Their about $80 to get replaced each i think, plus labour

Hope that helps

Chris
Old 09-05-2002, 19:16   #10 (permalink)

I heard somewhere that you can buy a kit that will fix lifter/tappets from sticking.

I have no idea where I heard this or what it is called.

If anyone knows can they please let us poor soles with this annoying and sometimes embarrassingly loud problem know what it is.
chris_ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech