Ford Forums banner

MAF upgrade

5K views 39 replies 12 participants last post by  EDxr8EBgt 
#1 ·
Chaps! I'm after experiences and/or opinions on changing the MAF from the laughingly small 55mm unit on my EL2XR8 to something more appropriate. I have fitted the SVO 65mm throttle body a while back, and I'll be getting my hands on some 24lb injectors, so the stock unit must die!!

First question - has anyone here with an EL fitted the MAF from the AU? The airbox lid / adapter plate is different, yes?

Second question - why does the AU unit cost $513, not including the airbox lid and plate?

Third question - Would a pod filter be an easier option than mucking around with the airbox / plate? I have a cold air feed running from the front bumper through the wheel arch to the base of the airbox. I have seen a few people running pods, but nobody is running heat shielding. Would the cold air feed be efficient enough, if no shielding was fitted?

Fourth question - has anyone got any good alternatives apart from the AU units? Other brands etc?

Thanks all!! :cheer:

#2 ·
AP is watching as he has decided 70mm TB and MAF on XR8 are too small. Maybe we do deal if I buy new stuff and you take my old stuff?

Which raises a question for AP - how do I make a larger MAF work on my AU2 220 engine?

#4 ·
Sparkles,

Why dont you order a new MAF from the US ?? Or maybe try a place like suburban imports and see if they have any 2nd hand ones.??

Another option is to talk to Dave (one of the sprint owners in the club) He made his own MAF!!!

Did you see my MAF on the dyno day? I am running it the same as "CobraXR". I got the base of the airbox back in the car, and will be running a cold air intake soon.

#5 ·
Mr Sparkle

513 sounds rich. Some time back I ordered an AU airbox lid and found out it included the 70mm MAF. Came to ~$220.

You'll need to swap the sensor with your stockie as the plug is a different shape to the harness.

Xr8chic

Dave actually made a throttle body not MAF.

General

Few options on larger MAFs. Get a CnL MAF like Kelli now has with specific sample tube to match your injector size. Doesn't work right for everybody's car though.

Buy a ProM meter which uses tweaked electronics to match meter to particular injector size.

Buy Ford 70mm plastic racing MAF and 30lb injectors like XR9Ute is running. Works similarly to ProM but this is their only combination.

Buy any MAF with known flow/voltage characteristics and alter EEC programming to match this.

#6 ·
hey anahka... oops... I knew he made something... it was jan when I saw it - so I am allowed to be forgetfull!!

I remember someone telling me about a MAF that allowed you to put different sized sleaves in it.

ie... buy the MAF and get a 70mm sleave. and then if you wanted to go bigger, just buy a 75mm sleave to fit (about $100).

Does anyone know anything about it?

#7 ·
ANAKHA:
And so my confusion continues.........
I'm trying to decide which MAF to get for my car which I am guessing will need to be at least 80mm to make a larger TB worthwhile. Having unichip I guess tuning can be done after fitment?

#8 ·
XR8chic

You talking about the CnL meter like you got? It should have a replaceable sampling tube for different sized injectors.

Aussie Pete

ProM is generally regarded as the best aftermarket MAF design. Gor for something like the 77mm unit. The size is deceptive as this meter flows much more than the stock Ford 70mm MAF. As for tuning reprogramming the Unichip should help somewhat although ideally you would want to change factory programming through the service port (chip/reflash).

They are pricey though. Expect to pay $800+ for that meter setup.

http://www.pro-flow.com/stang.htm

#9 ·
Sparkles,

The 70mm AU MAF will bolt straight on to your air box, no mod required, direct bolt on. The problem is the hot wire sensor has a different plug on it. You can swap the sensor for your old one, but then you're calibrated for 19's not 24's. You'll find your old injectors will be fine for what mods you have on car at present though. You will find if you do go this way that you'll lean out up the top end like mine did. My suggestion to you is to go the AU MAF, use your old electronics and get an adjustable fuel pressure reg which will sort out leaning out problems. I got my AU MAF from for about $300 i think, i get dealer prices though. Hope this helps.

Jase

Mr Sparkle said:
Chaps! I'm after experiences and/or opinions on changing the MAF from the laughingly small 55mm unit on my EL2XR8 to something more appropriate. I have fitted the SVO 65mm throttle body a while back, and I'll be getting my hands on some 24lb injectors, so the stock unit must die!!

First question - has anyone here with an EL fitted the MAF from the AU? The airbox lid / adapter plate is different, yes?

Second question - why does the AU unit cost $513, not including the airbox lid and plate?

Third question - Would a pod filter be an easier option than mucking around with the airbox / plate? I have a cold air feed running from the front bumper through the wheel arch to the base of the airbox. I have seen a few people running pods, but nobody is running heat shielding. Would the cold air feed be efficient enough, if no shielding was fitted?

Fourth question - has anyone got any good alternatives apart from the AU units? Other brands etc?

Thanks all!! :cheer:

#11 ·
I fitted the AU MAF, swapped the sensors, and the car didn't like it. Bad combination of sensor and MAF. I'd like to make an addaptor so fit the AU MAF with it's own sensor to my loom.

What fuel reg are ya using???

#12 ·
anakha said:
XR8chic

You talking about the CnL meter like you got? It should have a replaceable sampling tube for different sized injectors.

no - not the sample tube.

I think it was a vortech MAF. You buy the outer case, and it is supplied with 1 sleeve. You can then order different size sleeves (65mm, 70mm, 75mm, 80mm) for about $100 and they just insert into the outercase.

I think it was Croydon that told me about it, and then someone said they had one (maybe one of the canberra boys).

#13 ·
EDXR8 said:
www.vpwmailorder.com do a GMS MAF for $599.00

The one's they sell are Granatelli,BIG mafs and no restriction with
sample tubes.But you can;t change tube as in Vortech or CNL if you want bigger injectors..So buy the maf for 24's..

Sparkles enough info in P.M ????

#14 ·
XR8chic

The Vortech MAFs are rebadged C&L MAfs. Compare info:

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/accessories/aircomp.html#maf

http://www.cnlperformance.com/index2.shtml

LTDHO

Using the AU sensor should make no difference. All Ford factory MAFs (with the possible exception of the latest Mustang and Lightning MAFs) have the same electronic response. The only difference is how the EEC has been programmed to react to the voltage it receives from the MAF.

If your car originally had a 55mm unit and you put on the 70mm I would expect it not to run right because the voltage the EEC is receiving will not match the air mass coming in.

#17 ·
EDXR8 ::not yet, but very soon I'll be doing something and it won't be a new car.But it will be tuned etc with a total package..Hmm Vortech/Paxton Novi looks good, if you know what I mean ????? Our W.R.X has changed my opinion on forced induction!! Thinking Which way to go??????Atleast I can take it off and on another car,ohc V8's Ford ofcourse go well blown...Real well!!!!

Still another three weeks for tfs inlet !!!!!!

#18 ·
anakha said:
LTDHO

Using the AU sensor should make no difference. All Ford factory MAFs (with the possible exception of the latest Mustang and Lightning MAFs) have the same electronic response. The only difference is how the EEC has been programmed to react to the voltage it receives from the MAF.

If your car originally had a 55mm unit and you put on the 70mm I would expect it not to run right because the voltage the EEC is receiving will not match the air mass coming in.
Mine ran fine, just a little lean in the top end.

#20 ·
When I put the 70mm on. I was making hardly any power down low but lot's up high. The EEC didn't like it at all.

I guess I have to tell the EEC that it's getting 70mm's now not 50mm.

Also What is the general oppinion on the 'funnel' inside the airbox?

#22 ·
Anakha's comments have me thinking - when you price an airbox assembly, the MAF is included? That could be why the T3 airbox is close to $600!

(AP grabs phone - "Hey Partsguy Rob.......")

#24 ·
Is it possible to splice one connector to the other to make them fit??

#25 ·
Damn. What a time for Partsguy to go on holidays......

EDXR8:
Re the MAF connector on T3 vs AU2 XR8, that's one of the things I am trying to find out. I'm guessing the answer is yes since these engines are fitted with standard intakes on the production line before going to Tickford for a swap over to the good gear.

G
#26 ·
Hey mr sparkle,

The first question I have to ask before you buy a new MAF....what have you done to your engine(other than the 65mm t-body) to warrant upgrading to a larger MAF? 24lb injectors may also be a waste of money if you haven't modified the engine to require the extra fuel.

Vortech and C&L meters are one and the same. They have removable sample tubes to allow "tricking" the EEC to compensate for other than stock injectors.

Granatelli MAF's are Pro-M plastic MAF's rebadged.

I await your answer.

Pete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.