MAF upgrade - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2002, 14:54   #1 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

MAF upgrade

Chaps! I'm after experiences and/or opinions on changing the MAF from the laughingly small 55mm unit on my EL2XR8 to something more appropriate. I have fitted the SVO 65mm throttle body a while back, and I'll be getting my hands on some 24lb injectors, so the stock unit must die!!

First question - has anyone here with an EL fitted the MAF from the AU? The airbox lid / adapter plate is different, yes?

Second question - why does the AU unit cost $513, not including the airbox lid and plate?

Third question - Would a pod filter be an easier option than mucking around with the airbox / plate? I have a cold air feed running from the front bumper through the wheel arch to the base of the airbox. I have seen a few people running pods, but nobody is running heat shielding. Would the cold air feed be efficient enough, if no shielding was fitted?

Fourth question - has anyone got any good alternatives apart from the AU units? Other brands etc?

Thanks all!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2002, 15:11   #2 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

AP is watching as he has decided 70mm TB and MAF on XR8 are too small. Maybe we do deal if I buy new stuff and you take my old stuff?

Which raises a question for AP - how do I make a larger MAF work on my AU2 220 engine?

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 15:35   #3 (permalink)
SM

I'm moving

Thats it AP. I'm going to move next door to you and start scabbing all these used parts out of your bin......... when will it stop??
Old 03-18-2002, 15:51   #4 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

Sparkles,

Why dont you order a new MAF from the US ?? Or maybe try a place like suburban imports and see if they have any 2nd hand ones.??

Another option is to talk to Dave (one of the sprint owners in the club) He made his own MAF!!!

Did you see my MAF on the dyno day? I am running it the same as "CobraXR". I got the base of the airbox back in the car, and will be running a cold air intake soon.
Old 03-18-2002, 16:04   #5 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

Mr Sparkle

513 sounds rich. Some time back I ordered an AU airbox lid and found out it included the 70mm MAF. Came to ~$220.

You'll need to swap the sensor with your stockie as the plug is a different shape to the harness.

Xr8chic

Dave actually made a throttle body not MAF.

General

Few options on larger MAFs. Get a CnL MAF like Kelli now has with specific sample tube to match your injector size. Doesn't work right for everybody's car though.

Buy a ProM meter which uses tweaked electronics to match meter to particular injector size.

Buy Ford 70mm plastic racing MAF and 30lb injectors like XR9Ute is running. Works similarly to ProM but this is their only combination.

Buy any MAF with known flow/voltage characteristics and alter EEC programming to match this.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 16:10   #6 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

hey anahka... oops... I knew he made something... it was jan when I saw it - so I am allowed to be forgetfull!!

I remember someone telling me about a MAF that allowed you to put different sized sleaves in it.

ie... buy the MAF and get a 70mm sleave. and then if you wanted to go bigger, just buy a 75mm sleave to fit (about $100).

Does anyone know anything about it?
Old 03-18-2002, 16:33   #7 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

ANAKHA:
And so my confusion continues.........
I'm trying to decide which MAF to get for my car which I am guessing will need to be at least 80mm to make a larger TB worthwhile. Having unichip I guess tuning can be done after fitment?

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 16:53   #8 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

XR8chic

You talking about the CnL meter like you got? It should have a replaceable sampling tube for different sized injectors.

Aussie Pete

ProM is generally regarded as the best aftermarket MAF design. Gor for something like the 77mm unit. The size is deceptive as this meter flows much more than the stock Ford 70mm MAF. As for tuning reprogramming the Unichip should help somewhat although ideally you would want to change factory programming through the service port (chip/reflash).

They are pricey though. Expect to pay $800+ for that meter setup.

http://www.pro-flow.com/stang.htm
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 17:50   #9 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

Re: MAF upgrade

Sparkles,

The 70mm AU MAF will bolt straight on to your air box, no mod required, direct bolt on. The problem is the hot wire sensor has a different plug on it. You can swap the sensor for your old one, but then you're calibrated for 19's not 24's. You'll find your old injectors will be fine for what mods you have on car at present though. You will find if you do go this way that you'll lean out up the top end like mine did. My suggestion to you is to go the AU MAF, use your old electronics and get an adjustable fuel pressure reg which will sort out leaning out problems. I got my AU MAF from for about $300 i think, i get dealer prices though. Hope this helps.

Jase

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Sparkle
Chaps! I'm after experiences and/or opinions on changing the MAF from the laughingly small 55mm unit on my EL2XR8 to something more appropriate. I have fitted the SVO 65mm throttle body a while back, and I'll be getting my hands on some 24lb injectors, so the stock unit must die!!

First question - has anyone here with an EL fitted the MAF from the AU? The airbox lid / adapter plate is different, yes?

Second question - why does the AU unit cost $513, not including the airbox lid and plate?

Third question - Would a pod filter be an easier option than mucking around with the airbox / plate? I have a cold air feed running from the front bumper through the wheel arch to the base of the airbox. I have seen a few people running pods, but nobody is running heat shielding. Would the cold air feed be efficient enough, if no shielding was fitted?

Fourth question - has anyone got any good alternatives apart from the AU units? Other brands etc?

Thanks all!!
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 19:34   #10 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

www.vpwmailorder.com do a GMS MAF for $599. They do them to suit 19lb, 24lb, 30lb and 36lb injectors. It dosen't give an idea of size, but they say 47% airflow improvement. Also I see Herrod had a svo 70mm unit in their price list for about $450. I don't know if this is the same unit as the AU's.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech