Magna auto question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2001, 15:19   #1 (permalink)

Magna auto question

Just a quick one. Mate has a 4 speed auto with the fourth a selectable overdrive. Just had the bands replace for the second time in three years. Dealer cailms he has been driving the car wrong because he has been driving with the overdrive selected around town(city driving). Claims overdrive should be switched off around town.

I think it is BS but can anyone explain if the dealers claims have merit?
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2001, 18:29   #2 (permalink)

I used to work at a Mitsubishi dealer a few years ago and I know the early Magnas had a lot of trouble with dodgy transmissions. The stupid things wouldn't change out of first gear when they were cold. Different problem I know but maybe it's related. Talk to an independendent auto trans shop, they should be able to give you the low down ( (pun intended!) on what goes wrong with them. Mitsubishi, or any manufacturer, is going to try and get out of any warranty work by blaming the customer.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2001, 21:09   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for that mate. We tried a little experiment a bit later. Drove around town at 60 with the overdrive off and it revs to about 2100. Over drive on and that comes back to about 1600. So it looks like it is going fast enough to make a difference I just don't understand why this wound cause the bands to break in three years use. To me it sounds normal but I didn't know it they was any difference between a normal 4 speed and a three with selectable overdrive.
Old 07-09-2001, 00:53   #4 (permalink)

What model Magna? We nver bothered turning O/D off around town when I worked at a Mitsi dealer. The later INVECS autos would go into fourth around town, 50-60km/h and they are programed to preserve themselves. I have never bothered with turning O/D off in autos and I use 5th and 6th around town if the car can take it.
Old 07-09-2001, 01:14   #5 (permalink)

My dad has a 3.0L Magna TS Auto and ive noticed that he flicks the overdrive switch off while driving around town, its done 150,000kms from memory and its been problem free!! Pretty good when compared to the god awful TP/TM/TN Magnas :eek::eek:
Also a wrecker mate told my brother to drive his Commo in D around town, and to only put it in [D] while on the highway.....
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 02:59   #6 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Hmm thats interesting about the Commo there, basically it's a similar setup to the Falcon where by the 4th gear is a gate as opposed to the Magna and Camry with a button.

Only possible explaination of looking after the bands is the gear is held in 3rd so the band that is used to change to 4th is conserved and possibly the lockup clutch will operate in 3rd and therefore the trans is not slipping. Apart from that dunno what the benefits are. The disadvantage is obviously it takes abit of fuel. I've done all these mode experiments on dads car when i drive it. Yeah i'm abit of a techno gizmo guy when i'm on auto as i drive a manual all the time.

When speeds of 50km/h or under in the city i tend to put the trans into 3, with economy mode.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 15:10   #7 (permalink)

Not sure what Magna it is but 87,88 would be a guess.

This and what doc said about his auto not locking up till 120 has me thinking I have my understanding of autos up the creak.

The Falcon auto in my EF/EL was the four speed with the dual mode on shift protocals. I believe it had a protection on the lock up that prevented it from happening when cold. Once the box got to operating temp it would then allow the convert to lock up. It had to be in top before this could happen. Ie the box couldn't lock up the torque convert in 3rd gear or below

I drive some euro cars from time to time and they seem to work the same way. The torque convertor doesn't lock up untill the highest ration has been selected and the road speed is above X kmh, and this figure seems to differ.
I know if you approach a hill in one of these cars and let it slow the first thing the box does is turn the lock up off. The box then selects the lower gears if the speed still decreases. In some car you only know this has happened by watching the revs. In others you can feel the shift.

Is my understanding of this off base?

Now back to the Magna. After I left this guy he played about abit and drove the car at 40kph. Turning the overdrive on and off seemed to activate another gear(revs changed) even at this low speed.
Old 07-10-2001, 01:06   #8 (permalink)

I would just like the option of turning ON over drive in my auto! Got used to 5 speed autos in Audi A4s and the like. Drove a ML270CDI Mercedes 4wd with 5 speed auto and it hit 5th at 60km/h. Knocked back manually and sure enough it dropped into 4th. Begining to think manual is the way to go.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech