Main bearings - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2003, 09:12   #1 (permalink)
Professional P Plater

Main bearings

Can someone tell me what happens when u 'do' a main bearing in an e series(ED) I6? The mechanic tells me its either the main or big end bearing. It makes a rattle noise(which is fairly loud) when revved to about 2500rpm or when i was driving it at about 1500-2000rpm. Also started to blow LOTS of black smoke. Mechanic is of the opinion that a new engine would be the easiest/cheapest fix, but then i wouldn't know what the prob was. Also what does a stuffed bearing look like, cos i might rip tha bastard apart myself. I will have plenty of time cos i am losing my licence for a while.
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2003, 04:19   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

It would be the big end imo.If you do the work yourself or take it out and in hireing an engine hoist. $500.00
Would say too iff it makes a noise like k- knock the crank will need regrinding to a smaller size and oversize bearing shell fitted to bring tolerances back to speck..
Ring your local automotive you'll need groung crank and overbore as well & new pistons, gasgets, check oil pump recomended replace timming chain..Iff bore is o/k then just new rings after a hone/ deglaze..Ask around some mates to help for some xxxx....
But is less hassle to get a long block including head etc reco...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 05:51   #3 (permalink)
Professional P Plater

Was gonna ask would it be cheaper just to get a new engine? And what do you mean by long block? I know u can get long and short, but what comes with each?
Old 03-13-2003, 06:15   #4 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

long is a complete engine minus the accessories... short is everything from the heads down minus the accessories.
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 05:55   #5 (permalink)

Does the rattle get worse as it is under load? Could just be loose torque converter bolts, which can be tightened just by removing the inspection cover covering the bottom half of the bellhousing.

Why does a rattling crank make black smoke?
Cancerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 06:07   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

MMM Better check timing it MAY be ping / combustion knock. Black smoke usually means rich mixture.Is the fireing order right. Leads on correct plug?.Check your plugs and try to read them. Blck and sooty means way too rich, unleaded is usually a clean plug slightly rusty looking.
Has any one touched the engine latley? Full of oil? Have to ask..
R.I.P Possum...
Old 03-14-2003, 22:20   #7 (permalink)
Professional P Plater

Yeah it has oil, if the plugs were in the wrong order wouldn't it run like s*^t? It wasn't making the black smoke initially, but started to before i could get it home. Rattle does get worse the more load i put it under, but i haven't taken it past 2000rpm since it started, and have only driven it once since.
Old 03-15-2003, 03:08   #8 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

sounds bad could even be a cracked piston..
Is it a bad case case of wear in valve train!!
R.I.P Possum...
Old 03-15-2003, 03:21   #9 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

if you pull it apart yourself you will know that the bearing is stuffed, it will look completely differnt to the others.

it should no be too hard to pull apart yourself, drain the oil, pull the engine out, turn it upside down and take the sump off, then you can undo all the bearing caps (rod and big end) and remove, then pull the crank out leaving the pistons in the engine and the head on.

the problem will be getting it fixed. i hope that its a main bearing as that will be less hassle - get the crank ground to make the bearing surface smooth and then put an oversize bearing in, make sure the clearences are right though, and put it back togather. (provided the crank bearing carrier is still in good nick)

if its a rod bearing you will have to pull the head off and the piston out, and then get the rod fixed or put an new one in, as well as get the crank ground etc...

if you arent confident maybe to save money pull the motor out yourself and then drop it off at a machine shop, otherwise let them rip, and get them to show you the busted bits...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 22:28   #10 (permalink)
Professional P Plater

ok update on the smoke. Its not black, but a pale grey/blue colour. does this mean anything? and it doesn't do it at idle, but touch the throttle and there it is.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech