making 139kw to 157kw - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2002, 09:57   #1 (permalink)
Holdenh8er

making 139kw to 157kw

i'm thinking of gettin ea as its cheaper to run and i can trash it more than my ef, i'm paying over a grand a year on insurance. and a want a car i can fiddle with too without worrying too much about stuff in it up, plus the parts are morely available from wreckers. and also so i can go cutting up in on wide gravel roads.

and the biggest reason also is coz i want manual,

so what would be required to make a 5 speed ea 3.9MP keep up with my EF 4.0L auto.

i mean 139kw - 157kw is not that much so i was thinking maybe the following mods:

* 2 1/2 " with hollowed out cat convertor
* extractors
* better air intake
* lumpy camshaft
* better air filter

now surely with these mods there should be over 160kw? and coupled to a 5 speed that should be faster than my ef?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2002, 09:58   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

I wouldn't be surprised if it is faster than the EF anyway, because it weighs significantly less. WHen new, Wheels mag got 0-100 in 7.8 seconds out of a manual S, which is outstanding.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 12:04   #3 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Hey dude, I've got a 5 speed MPI with a few little mods, and it easily gets in front of a stock EL auto off the mark.

If you do those mods you mentioned, you should be giving an auto EL XR6 a run for its money thats for sure.
You may want to concider a higher diff gear ratio.
Old 02-18-2002, 12:40   #4 (permalink)
KeRaZy SPaK

Cat converter questions...
Is it illegal to hollow out the cat converter? (ie hollowing it out would hinder its converting capabilities?) Is it really a useful performance mod? I imagine it would be but would like to know what people know/think/
Old 02-18-2002, 12:52   #5 (permalink)
Martin

Modifying/removing the cat converter can result in a $10,000 fine.
As for performance gain youd be lucky to gain 5kw if the cat was in good condition. Put a larger high flow one on and there would be very little restriction.
Old 02-18-2002, 13:00   #6 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Re: .

I was told it's a $2000 fine. Bloody hell, $10,000 is a big fine.
You get hit harder for driving a car with a modified cat, then getting caught driving a stolen car with a modified cat.

Makes sense.
Old 02-18-2002, 14:03   #7 (permalink)
Holdenh8er

so how much does the ea weight anyway? compared the the ef?

and how much do s packs usually cost? and by theory a 94 Vr commodore has 129kw so a 139kw ea with 5 speed should drag its nuts off at lights??

thanks fellas
Old 02-18-2002, 14:17   #8 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

The commo is pretty light man. The VN has a better power to wieght ratio then the EA MPI(not sure bout vr). I reckon the standard EA 5 speed would be about the same as a VN auto off the mark.
Old 02-18-2002, 18:47   #9 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

Cat Converters

Yeah, hollowing out your cat isnt a very good idea....I have a friend who had a EA and he had a accident where he was hit from behind. The car was still driveable (it took a big hit on RHS) after we botched a indicator....anyway, story was that the hit was far worse than expected, and a hole had been made in the boot floor. Also, the tailpipe is on that side of car, and was badly bent (so we tore it off....not that it matter, exhaust had four holes in it anyway) Moral of story? With hollowed out cat, exhaust fumes started entering boot thru hole, and after longish drives would enter cabin. Result? I very sick boy who was lucky not to do serious damage. Those Cat Converters do a important job of filtering shit than hurts us and the environment...

No I aint a greenie either :)

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 19:34   #10 (permalink)
mickt

cat converters

Hollowing out cats achieve nothing. All modern cars run them.A part of life. A cat on a 6cyl can flow a 5.0ltr. High flow cats achieve nothing unless your orig. cat is fukd.Anyway they aren't restrictive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech