Ford Forums banner

making a stock six go harder

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  botch 
#1 ·
Hi All-

This weekend I'm going to be trading in my Nissan 200SX on a bog-stock 1999 AU falcon forte (4.0 litre).

Being used to a car that can pull mid-13's (its modified).. I wouldn't mind getting slightly more grunt out of the six.

What are the best value for money mods?

I'm hoping for about 185kw.

-Adam

#2 ·
Good Decision mate and welcome aboard!

Why AU forte? You could get a nice tidy EL XR6 for similar dosh and you would start with a better performance platform.

Obviously you would fit a free flowing exhaust system + new intake ( forced if you have the $$$$), a good cam is said to bring around 20 Rear wheel Kw's, chip ( UNICHIP of course)

Were you looking for 185 Kw at rear wheels?

#6 ·
EL-Phat said:
185 Kw's at the flywheel/engine is very achievable really with the mods mentioned above.
Yeap i agree, 185kw at the fly or say 140kw at the wheels is more than possible.

Go the cam, induction, exhaust and chip should bring you to that figure.

#7 ·
Yep I was after 185 flywheel kw.. (not at the wheels!!) Mid-low 15's would be really nice.

I'm getting rid of the 200SX because its just too damned expensive.

The only caryard that will let me trade down that has an XR8 wants $23,000 for a 1995 model with 110,000kms. They are giving me $41,500 for my 8 month old S15 Spec R.

If I'm paying $19,000 for this AU..I'm likely to have a few grand to spend on mods.. a cam would be cool. I don't mind if it idles lumpy, and some more topend would be great. I'm keen on going for a cam before doing the exhaust.

-Adam

#9 ·
Here, this guy reckons he can get 170RWKw for $3500, would be more than worth your while to check it out. With that kinda grunt it should be hitting 14s easy...

We have the power for YOU.....4 litre mods...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello every Ford owner......

Is your XR6 or 4 litre Falcon feeling a bit Doughy, or are you sick and tired or them damn Holdens gettin you at the lights or the strip ?

WE did, so we got to doing something about it....

Jim Mock motorsport, Mildura Victoria have just completed 5 months or grueling dyno testing at their facilities. We are very proud to announce our Five stages of engine development for the 4 litre Ford engine.

The most common asked question is How much power can I get.....

Our current development on the EF to AU series brings 170 RW Kw to your vehicle. These engines are both comfortable to drive and sound the part...

The DEV 5, 170 RW Kw engine comes complete with full head mods, cam shafts, timing gears, and full 2.5 " exhaust system with newly fitted extractors and Hi Flow air filter and DYNO Testing. Cost to U is JUST $3500.00, Or to include an engine overhaul and balance is $6000...

TAKE NOTE, No Computer MODS are necessary with These engines......An added bonus.

Interested clients can call Jim or Brenden on
03 50 211988.

Most engines can be UPgraded in Just One DAY, and Overhauls can be completed in ONE week........

For A TRUE GEN 3 Beating FORD..........

Regards.....

Brenden Mock

#10 ·
I don't own a Ford six, however I own a nissan six and face many simular problems...

here is a starter list (not in order) for you to look into:
-Exaust (3")
-headers (good type)
-Cam (oh man everyone has cams for fords!!)
-Intake (cold air, tickford box etc etc)
-XR6 or chipped computer(higher rev limit for cam, no speed limiter better mapping)
-MAKE it a manuel (auto limited top speed for reason)
-Low LSD diff (~3.45-3.7)
-Some fat low pro rubber/wheels
-Brake upgrade (pads, discs, calipers, fluid)
-Suspension (lower it 35mm)
-Removal of excess weight (spare, jack, some underbody/noise insulation, alloy crank pully)
-Body kit stuff
-Interior bits like chrome doorhandles, chrome ghia bits, leathery bits etc

My general prefence would be to pursue say a XR6 (or simular) cam, computer (xr6 or simular), Headers and a 3" exaust. If you want to go all out on a wild cam I would suggest you go on a lower something like 3.45+ diff at the same time.

However pick your cam carefully, some can be crappy, and its a expensive thing to have a crappy selection on.

I would do in order:
-Intake (cheap and quick and worthwhile)
-Extractors+Exaust (most benificial over all maybe)
-Cam and computer (pushing the last little bit and spend your time making desicion)

#11 ·
Adamw:

Mate this is from experience, a lot of guys on this forum know my last car. It was a ED Futura IL6. Mate I spent and threw a lot of money at it to improve the performance. I managed to get 134RWKW's. It went like a scalded cat.

Here is the list:

Full Custom exhaust: Pacemaker Headers Hi Flow Cat Straight through muffler all in 2 1/2 inch.

Chip and Cam "Chiptorque" HP4 Package the "Big" one.

Tuning of ECU to run Optimax.

K & N Filter plus replace air box with Pod Filter.

Change Diff to 3.45:1

OK once you get that far remember you are running it in a base falcon. These things don't handle real well once you power them up. You would need to upgrade the suspension put decent wheels and tyres on. The list continues:

Pedders Top Shelf Shocks and Struts.

Pedders Springs lowered 2 inches.

All new suspension rubbers..

Tickford Control arms..

16 x 7 XR Rims and 225/50/16 Tyres.

Convert speedo to allow the running of lower diff ratios.

This is before we even start on the cosmetic stuff.

List Continues:

Full SSV Body Kit.

Tinting

Upgrade Lighting

Oh and by the way you can say goodbye to fuel economy average of 300 kms from a 68 litre tank around town..

Mate I'm not saying don't do it because I sure had fun getting there. Just think about the money you have to spend to get decent power from the base model Falcons..

I won't mention the amount I spent getting there as it still makes me shudder..

Nipper......

#12 ·
Have a look in the latest performance ford bro, you will see one of my mates cars there it is a turbo xr6, full standard except for decomp plate, and abit of auto work, at 15psi produces over 230kws at bak wheels and has run a 13.0@112mph, now that is power, go turbo.

#13 ·
SUPERCHARGEDEB said:
Have a look in the latest performance ford bro, you will see one of my mates cars there it is a turbo xr6, full standard except for decomp plate, and abit of auto work, at 15psi produces over 230kws at bak wheels and has run a 13.0@112mph, now that is power, go turbo.
Yep, saw that. Must say, a very impressive car!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.