Mass Air Flow Meter Improvments - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2002, 19:31   #1 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

Mass Air Flow Meter Improvments

The other night at a friends house i was reading one of his rice boy books with an article on air flow meters.
A long with other things it said that by removing the little mesh grid that sits in front of the MAFM it could give some sort of gains?!
Obvisouly this grid is put there for a reason.. will removing it give any gains at all? ( i imagine they would be close 2 fuk all )
Or will it just let matter into the intake which shouldnt be there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2002, 19:45   #2 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

I read an article at autospeed a while ago about this...the mesh is there to stop any stones/dust/ther bad stuff from hitting the hot wire.

The mesh makes the air a fair bit more turbulent, so if it is not there the airflow will be smoother thereofre more air can get through, but for the actual gains i dont know, and i dont know if it is worth the risk to the MAF.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 21:23   #3 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

I have taken mine out and gone for a small drive. It seems to be a little better low down but not really anything to get excited about.
I imagine the filter will stop all stones from hitting the hot wire, but dust and mayb filter oil could build up on it.
Old 08-13-2002, 03:48   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I believe a lot of the LS1 types remove the screen ...
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 05:02   #5 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

I can only really think of one reason. I dont think it's for blocking out dust or whatever, thats why the air filter is there in the first place, and they wouldn't be thinking of people putting K&N's in so it aint for the dust either.

How big is the opening air box??? Around 70 odd mm??? How big is the hole in the MAF?? About 55 odd mm... Now the mesh is restricting air getting through by a bit over half. XR8XTC was it noiser when you drove it?? I imagine the mesh would quieten induction a bit as it restricts the air...

Then again i could just be spinning BS...
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 17:34   #6 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

I have a cold air/ram feed from my air box to the front of the car so i can hear no induction noise when driving so i couldnt say if induction noise has increased.
After a few more drives i would say that taking out this mesh does make a minor difference, i tend to notice more from 2000 to 3500. I have decided to leave it out for now and i will check the hot wire in about two weeks to see if it has any build up on it.
Old 08-13-2002, 18:20   #7 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

i dont think it will make a difference - contrary to popular belief, the mesh is there to smooth airflow, and it does.

i think any benifit is a percived on, though i am not willing to get into an arguement about it, as i have never done a before/after test drive.

a VX SS came in to work the other day, and the owner had removed the mesh and ported the throttle body a little, the car was running like crap because the airflow meter was giving a different signal to what the computer was expecting.

i wouldnt bother.

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 19:18   #8 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

Quote:
Originally posted by Rollin
i dont think it will make a difference - contrary to popular belief, the mesh is there to smooth airflow, and it does.

i think any benifit is a percived on, though i am not willing to get into an arguement about it, as i have never done a before/after test drive.

a VX SS came in to work the other day, and the owner had removed the mesh and ported the throttle body a little, the car was running like crap because the airflow meter was giving a different signal to what the computer was expecting.

i wouldnt bother.
It was running ruff from the mesh being removed?
Old 08-13-2002, 20:37   #9 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

probably as a result of having the mesh removed and also being ported.

hot wire air flow meters work as follows:

the computer runs x amout of current/voltage through a special resistor, which changes resistance as it changes temp.

air mass is directly related to its temperature and humidity, so as it flows past the heated wire it cools it , in proportion to the airs heat and humidity. the computer is told if x voltage exists across the wire then x amount of air is flowing through due to the size of the throttle body, and to add x amount of fuel. if you bore out the throttle body or change it in any way then the computer may get confused, as this one did.

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 04:16   #10 (permalink)
gone

the mesh is there to direct the air flow over the hot wire/hence taking it out only causes problems
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech