me got some - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2002, 12:51   #1 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

me got some

I bought 6'' kickers 100w rms splits today along with a nice 4 way amp. JB HIFi will install it but what can be done about getting all of the 6'' through the door, i mean can we cut the interior of the door so that the speaker is not being covered and muffled by the old 4'' whole.

Cheers,
gmaneA
gmanEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2002, 18:28   #2 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

If you are real worried about it, get some EB/D door trims, they have a 6" hole.

However, I suggest that there would probably be almost no noticable difference with a bigger hole simply because it's a midbass driver, and the sound should diffract pretty well. A tweeter behind a door trim would be a different story.

You would be far better off investing your time in a set of door pods IMO.

Good Luck.
Old 05-04-2002, 23:16   #3 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

thanks bass

Ok then so you think i just have it installed as it is and being woofer mostly it shouldnt be so muffled ? I hope thats the case, coz i spent a heap on them.

Anyone hear much about the Kicker RS6's ?
They sounded unreal in JBs
Old 05-06-2002, 18:45   #4 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

done

Hey Bass, Doug and others thanks for your advice on Sunday about the stereo. I did end up getting some door pods custom made and as Bass said pointing towards the central light. The front splits are Kicker RS6's which are 100RMS speakers and the tweeter is placed inside the 4'' whole pointing upwards as well.

The Amplifier is a Clarion APA4400 4*100RMS and it is performing very well atm. It is an ex-demo which I picked up for $300 and they reckon it is rrp $1200, I hope they didnt jib me coz they talked me out of the Coustic 480QE amp. The rear 6*9 kenwood 300watters and going well too, next inline is a decent amp and subs. One guy i spoke to says hell sell me a JL 12'' sub with good amp for $1000 already in sub box, he reckons it pumps 141dB.

Anyway guys thanks again, I will get some pics taken soon and show you all. Ideas and suggestions / critics would be appreciated on your opinions.
Cheers,
gmanEA
Old 05-07-2002, 17:19   #5 (permalink)
sikmick

Why the Clarion?

Hey Gman..
Sounds like a good set up so far. I remember listening to it with the phillips splits and 6x9's without any amp installed, sounded not too bad for what it was.
I'm just curious as to why you decided to but the Clarion Amp, and not the Coustic.
When i bought the Coustic amp, i really had no idea what i was buying, all i knew that is was powerful, and that it is. I have no regrets buying the Coustic amp, and have later discovered (since owning it) that its in the "higher end" of the car audio quality range. It drives my Boston 4" Splits in the front beautifully, pumping out 240 RMS to each side :)

Michael
Old 05-07-2002, 19:28   #6 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

well

Cheers Sikmik, I ended up getting the Clarion because I believed I was getting a pretty good deal on a $1200 amp for $300 because it was off the demo board.

Not that this neccessary means a lot but the Coustic is rated at 60 rms per channel, only puts out 480rms i think on mono. The clarion unit I got is rated at 100RMS per channel, which was higher than the kicker and coustic amps i was looking at.

The amp i got has good cooling unit running through it and goes alright so far.
Old 05-07-2002, 22:43   #7 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

Re: well

i maganed to fit 6.5" splist in my door. I have the stock 4" grils as well. Ive run the speakers with and without the doortrims and i dont notice any diffrence, so i dont see why you should have a problem. A bit of metal cutting is required but they do fit, and sound nicer than a 4", with more midbass. Those clarion amps are nice, better than the VNets for sure. Im running my MBQuarts of an Orion amp, and it sounds insane. Yours should be of a similar quality!...good luck dude.

Ill take it as a complement i think.............
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 22:48   #8 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

thanks man

Thanks for your comments.
The sound is pretty damm good. The appearance of the speaker door pods is very good to, I will get some pics when I can. I have the kicker tweets in the 4'' hole and they do nicely in there, are pretty large tweets anyway compared to standard. Your comments about my clarion amp is encouraging, I am happy so far.
Old 05-08-2002, 22:22   #9 (permalink)
sikmick

Re: thanks man

Good to hear its all going well so far..
You are right, the coustic amp is rated at 60 RMS a channel. But i'm bridging my amp (going from four channels to two)
And what this does is increase the power dramatically.
The Coustic amp produces 480 RMS total (or 240 RMS x2 which is how i have mine setup, the boston's love it)
If you get some pics up i'd be interested..
What's next in your list of stereo mods GMan?

Michael
Old 05-08-2002, 22:59   #10 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

well

My next mod I think is getting that subbie that Goodz is selling, apparently its really damm powerful and Ill just have to get a damm good amp for it i guess. But anyhow the boot DOES already sound like it has a subbie in it. I dont think theres always a need for 2 subs as to get louder you need another amp most likely and youll probably only get it 3dB or so louder by having a second.

If he rings me ill get it tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech