mini tubbs xw/xy - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2005, 01:38   #1 (permalink)

mini tubbs xw/xy

engineer came to check out car today he gave me a greenlight on minitubbs and moveing springs inboard,what do you reckon the best way to tackle this job,i have my own thoughts but would like to hear yours
only rule is do not cut existing chassis rail itself.

Last edited by reece1; 04-28-2005 at 01:40. Reason: add more info
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2005, 04:47   #2 (permalink)
slikxb

Re: mini tubbs xw/xy

I,ve been wondering how this is done aswell , as it means the rear of your spring is gonna be in fuel tank teritory. Tailpipe's are another problem. Are you allowed to just move the front in and run your springs on an angle. I was reading one of my dads chassis tuning books and it says that running your springs like this actually improves handling in corners. It may look a bit weird though. Here is a link that has heaps of good shit in it, like leaf spring slider assembly (more compact than shackles). The tech pages are worth a read.www.afcoracing.com
buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 05:08   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz
I,ve been wondering how this is done aswell , as it means the rear of your spring is gonna be in fuel tank teritory. Tailpipe's are another problem. Are you allowed to just move the front in and run your springs on an angle. I was reading one of my dads chassis tuning books and it says that running your springs like this actually improves handling in corners. It may look a bit weird though.
the way i am attacking it is adding new rear mounting points,removing tank and replacing with a fuel cell,flat floor,exhaust each side of number plates,would like to hear from someone who has done it
Old 04-29-2005, 05:07   #4 (permalink)
TuffZc and pursuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece1
the way i am attacking it is adding new rear mounting points,removing tank and replacing with a fuel cell,flat floor,exhaust each side of number plates,would like to hear from someone who has done it

I have had my ZC like that now for about 16-18 years
The tank has gone and I use a custom aluminium tank now.
The rails are all left original as ford produced them, so I could go back to original if I wanted to, I'd just need to get a diff with the correct spacing on the saddles.
At the rear (where the tank used to live) i have 2 box sections running from left rail to right rail. then between them i have 2 more box sections runing parallel to the ford rails, front to rear and approx 2" inboard, these inborad rails have the holes for the shackles to mount to.
At the front of the spring rail area, I have a thick angles peice welded in, basically opposite side of the rail to what ford have done and the spring mounts between this angled section and the rail using the original hole in the rail.
the sping saddles have been moved in the approriate amount ans i had to manufacture different lower plates because of the shock mounting.
My wheel arches have been split and moved to the chassis rail.

I run 295 TA's under the back with plenty of room, I have run 305 mcrearys under there as well, and the wheel sits in the guard with no rubbing.

Exhaust is not an issue as it is all custom made, I don't think I have many original things left on my car anymore.

Mick

*UPDATE * Pursuit has just run 11.763 and 116.18 mph making it Australias Quickest and fastest unopened boss as well as Australias Quickest and fastest naturally aspirated Boss
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 14:49   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
I have had my ZC like that now for about 16-18 years
The tank has gone and I use a custom aluminium tank now.
The rails are all left original as ford produced them, so I could go back to original if I wanted to, I'd just need to get a diff with the correct spacing on the saddles.
At the rear (where the tank used to live) i have 2 box sections running from left rail to right rail. then between them i have 2 more box sections runing parallel to the ford rails, front to rear and approx 2" inboard, these inborad rails have the holes for the shackles to mount to.
At the front of the spring rail area, I have a thick angles peice welded in, basically opposite side of the rail to what ford have done and the spring mounts between this angled section and the rail using the original hole in the rail.
the sping saddles have been moved in the approriate amount ans i had to manufacture different lower plates because of the shock mounting.
My wheel arches have been split and moved to the chassis rail.

I run 295 TA's under the back with plenty of room, I have run 305 mcrearys under there as well, and the wheel sits in the guard with no rubbing.

Exhaust is not an issue as it is all custom made, I don't think I have many original things left on my car anymore.

Mick
sounds like we think alike i have made all mounts and put new saddles on diff,i cut the inner side of both wheel arches out,the diff is going to get shortened on monday and have billet axles made up to suit. i bought some nice 10" weld draglites and put some 29 x 12.5 m/t sportsman rubber on them,i think it might be a little to big so will have to possibly do something with wheelarches but i hope not. i will wait till i have diff back before i do any more mods to rear.did you use the original top shock mounting points or did you move them in and keep the same angle
Old 05-07-2005, 19:39   #6 (permalink)
TuffZc and pursuit

I kept the top mounting points original, I made new bottom plates to mount the shock on the outside so it kept its original angle

*UPDATE * Pursuit has just run 11.763 and 116.18 mph making it Australias Quickest and fastest unopened boss as well as Australias Quickest and fastest naturally aspirated Boss
Old 05-07-2005, 19:51   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I kept the top mounting points original, I made new bottom plates to mount the shock on the outside so it kept its original angle
i see this is a far better idea.do you see the other post i follwed up earlier today,i think in 460 tech do you have any pics
Old 05-07-2005, 20:20   #8 (permalink)
TuffZc and pursuit

No pics at the momment, but will see what I can do maybe in a few days

Old 05-07-2005, 21:09   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
No pics at the momment, but will see what I can do maybe in a few days
i cut the original tub in half and left the original outer shell in place as i dont think there will be much saving in this area unless i pump the gaurds.is this what you did.
Old 05-07-2005, 21:32   #10 (permalink)
TuffZc and pursuit

my tubs are totally stock, just cut down the middle and spread with a filler panel down the middle

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech