missing coolent - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2002, 07:29   #1 (permalink)

missing coolent

I've been having to fill, yes fill, my radiator atleast once a day lately, I think it's due to the heater box leaking. I have a small hose that comes out of the firewall not connected to anything and it seems to loose a fair whack of coolent through there whilst driving. Is this like a drainage for the box? Please help, it's starting to warm up and I'm not wanting to cook the head!!! Thanks
-Waz
XDSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2002, 07:46   #2 (permalink)

ther should be an in and out for the water to flow. If you have a hose sticking out your firewall with nothing going to it, then of course thiss will be your prob!!

Just block it up and see how you go.

Hope your not topping the car up with cold water when its hot....
Old 09-13-2002, 07:49   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, I have an in... out and a stumpy one, It's not pissing out just dripping rappidly
and only recently
Old 09-13-2002, 16:23   #4 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

I know what your problem is!

This drain line is a smaller diameter hose just poking out of the firewall well below the in/out lines for the heater right? It's there to drain the heater box should the heater core leak. So the coolant doesn't end up in a puddle inside the car. Your heater core is leaking!

The good news - heater cores don't cost too much to replace.

The bad news - you get to them from inside the car, after the whole dash assembly has been removed. Mucho labour $$$.

If you also have aircond that will have to be drained and disconnected as well. How do I know? My XG ute did the same thing, except it wasn't dribbling but rather dropped it's load. The aircond and all the smartlock electrics inside turned me off doing it myself.

To make the car useful until you get it fixed just get a 90 or 180 degree connector (I found one lying around from an irrigation kit that held up for about 8 months until I got the job done). Remove the heater hoses from the firewall and bypass the heater core using the connector (ie. join the hose ends together). Your probably gonna want it fixed before next winter though.
Old 09-15-2002, 17:27   #5 (permalink)

Done, I've also asked a few people about it and all said the same thing. I've been able to just loop the heater hose around to bypass the heater core. I'll be doing the labour my self so it's all good, I just have to find the time and the motivation to do it! Bugger hey, ohh well, atleast the weather is sort of heating up now!! Thanks for all the help!
Old 03-29-2005, 01:30   #6 (permalink)

cool Re: missing coolant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPTOR
I know what your problem is!

This drain line is a smaller diameter hose just poking out of the firewall well below the in/out lines for the heater right? It's there to drain the heater box should the heater core leak. So the coolant doesn't end up in a puddle inside the car. Your heater core is leaking!

The good news - heater cores don't cost too much to replace.

The bad news - you get to them from inside the car, after the whole dash assembly has been removed. Mucho labour $$$.

If you also have aircond that will have to be drained and disconnected as well. How do I know? My XG ute did the same thing, except it wasn't dribbling but rather dropped it's load. The aircond and all the smartlock electrics inside turned me off doing it myself.

To make the car useful until you get it fixed just get a 90 or 180 degree connector (I found one lying around from an irrigation kit that held up for about 8 months until I got the job done). Remove the heater hoses from the firewall and bypass the heater core using the connector (ie. join the hose ends together). Your probably gonna want it fixed before next winter though.
Just to let you know guys. The drain hole is there specifically for draining condensation build up from using the air conditioner. The drain hole unfortunately doesn't stop your floor from getting wet if the heater core leaks. This is because the coolant doesn't build up in that section of the heater box, therefore, regardless, coolant will still drip from your floor vents.
Also if you have a pool of water or dampness on your front carpet it could also be a blocked drain hole. so that when you use the air conditioner, there is nowhere for the build up of condensation to escape. Just for your info. But as RAPTOR said, if you are noticing coolant loss as well, then its most likely the heater core!
boss290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 16:49   #7 (permalink)

Re: missing coolent

You've found the easy solution.......block the sucker off.

You can buy rubber caps that block the two pipes coming out of the water pump and block.

Aircon = window down.
Heater = Keep the revs up to keep exhaust pipes hot or get some trackies and a beenie

And having had a leaking heater core.........yes, the obvious symptom is the passenger floor covered in green coolant.

Last edited by TruBlu351; 04-05-2005 at 16:49. Reason: *
TruBlu351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech