Mock Dev 4 WOW!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2002, 02:02   #1 (permalink)
XR8 XR6 Club of Victoria

Mock Dev 4 WOW!!!

Ok, a week ago found the dreaded white stuff on the side of the block of the wife's ED XR6 wagon.

Whilst the head was off to fix the problem a Dev 4 upgrade was specified.

Picked up the car yesterday and WOT A DIFFERENCE !!!!

The wagon absolutely surges along. Goes like a "bat out of hell".
It is awesome !!!
I was and am mighty impressed....but there's more....

Got back into my XR8 AUIII 220 last night and it seemed sluggish !!!.

So I spent several hours today doing A/B comparisons.
I drove the XR6 Dev 4 then the XR8 and alternated a number of times. Drove around various routes and tried to compare acceleration from standing, from 30kph, from 50kph, etc.

Here's what I have found.....

The XR8 has more power down low (up to 1500rpm or so).
BUT, it is really a close thing for the rest of the range.
I could not really pick a significant enough a difference.
The XR8 does go better but only by a small margin.
The ED on the dyno showed just under 150rwkw and in theory the XR6 should be around 200kw at the fw. Looks to me, given my testing, to be about correct.
The Dev 4 also seems to rev out faster than the XR8 (as would be expected).
Didn't take either machine much over 5000rpm but the Dev 4 just hauls all the way through.

BTW still running the factory exhaust and haven't fitted the thermo fans as yet !!

I now have no fear of the BA thru to the BA XR6(non-T) when in either car.

Guys, IMO, the DEV4 is very HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Other bits of info:-
- The idle quality of the Dev 4 is excellent - smooth as..
- The XR8 AUIII brakes fared very well !
- "Smoked up" the ED brakes even after the work done on them.
- Back to the drawing board wrt the ED brakes (bugger).
- There is definitely a different exhaust note out of the ED.
- Both cars run on Synergy8000 and full tanks.
- The Dev 5 must be awesome !
- Am now happy again to drive either car (ED XR6 no longer sluggish in comparison to the XR8).

Finally, Jim and Brendan, you guys are just brilliant !
Thanks for what you did to the XR6
Thanks for the way you dealt with me through the exercise.
TBH: (the better half) drives an ED XR6 wagon (Mock Dev 4 160rwkw, JMM extractors, 4 electric windows, Ghia door panels in XR trim, rear head & arm rests in XR trim, Momo s/wheel with Cruise, EL thermos, EBGT wheels, etc) things to come soon = EECV upgrade.
Muzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2002, 03:16   #2 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Good to see your happy with the upgrade mate. Sounds like a very big call to say your ED XR6 feels similar to your XR8 Series III.
Sounds like the Mock Dev4 is good gear.

An XR8 220kw hauls, had a rolling acceleration run with one in my XR6 and it beats me convincingly, while i must say i should dropped it to 4th instead of 3rd but still the XR8 220kw so over powered me it wasn't funny.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 04:39   #3 (permalink)

Excellent effort Muzza and Mocks
According to Tickford (oops now FVP) an AU 220kw will put out between 145-150rwkw
If your XR6 Dev4 is now putting out 150rwkw then there's every chance that it would feel very similar to your AU III XR8 220

Well done.
batbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 07:21   #4 (permalink)

Smile

So what do you get in the Dev 4 kit and how much?
You have to get it down the strip, should pull high 14's - low 15 sec times. Did you say you still have std exhaust system,fitted with JMM extractors. Those power figures are almost unbelievable.

AU Forte, EL GT Intake Snorkel and EF Airbox with more mods to come
Great White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 08:42   #5 (permalink)

Great to hear! Ive been thinking about just putting in a DEV4/5 Cam in my ED but was a bit unsure, but this has convinced me!

Just one question, whats the fuel economy like?
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 15:43   #6 (permalink)
XR8 XR6 Club of Victoria

Fuel Economy

Thanks for the comments guys.

Not sure about the fuel economy. I am a card carrying lead-foot and absolutely chew thru the juice in the XR8.
The ED has a trip computer fitted but I never took notice.
The wife feeds the ED and I will hear back if there is any significant increase.
Oh, and the ED now must be run on PULP, but that's no issue as we had only been feeding it PULP anyway.
Will check the Trip Comp readings in a week to see what the consumption is.

XR_Strider_Guy - Yeah, power figures are difficult, but I put fingers to keyboard here based on subjective experience.

Have had the ED for a lot of years. Got an AU XR6VCT and there was a noticeable, albiet not large, power difference.

When I got the XR8 - wow- massive difference to the VCT.

The ED was no longer fun to drive, my butt loved the XR8.
Serious lack of power in the ED - very sad.

After the Dev4, and hence my A/B testing, the gap has closed considerably and the ED is now fun to drive when I hop into it.
If the cars were lined up pre-Dev4 I would say that the XR8 would definitely have just strormed away ahead of the ED.
Now, the XR8 would probably still pull ahead, but, I really believe that it would not be by a whole lot.
BTW both are autos.

I have not timed the cars pre and post the Dev4 nor have I any dyno readings comparing the cars.
I just know, from seat-of pants experience, that the ED has received a massive power boost, that the difference to the XR8 is no longer huge and is close enough for me to really enjoy driving the ED after being used to the XR8.
TBH: (the better half) drives an ED XR6 wagon (Mock Dev 4 160rwkw, JMM extractors, 4 electric windows, Ghia door panels in XR trim, rear head & arm rests in XR trim, Momo s/wheel with Cruise, EL thermos, EBGT wheels, etc) things to come soon = EECV upgrade.
Old 10-12-2002, 22:34   #7 (permalink)

dev 4 mods

sounds good muzza I am considering doing the same to my wagon being a daily driver/tow car it would be interesting to know the fuel economy with the mods done ,as a rough idea what $$$ am I looking at ? and did you rebuild the engine before the mods ,did you rebuild it yourself

Thanks interested to know
Old 10-13-2002, 01:15   #8 (permalink)
XR8 XR6 Club of Victoria

Another ED XR6 wagon !

Another ED XR6 wagon ! - you, like me, are also blessed !

OK, likely no need for a bottom end rebulid. Was not mentioned during discussion. Don't think this would be required for any of the DEV's ?. Our wagon has done less than 100K and bottom end is OK.

On the price issue, please call Jim 03 9399 4401.
I already had the extractors, didn't get the exhaust (still saving up my bickies), had the lash adjusters reco'ed, etc so end price would be different for a full package.
Also, I did not bother shopping around as, as far as I am concerned, there was only one place to go (would have been cheaper than the alternative for certain).

Oh, and if you do rebuild your bottom end consider a crank out of the EL. Apparently has more counterweights and smoothes out the vibrations standard with the ED version. This info from various sources regarding the improvements in successive models.

Will let you know about the fuel consumption at end of week.
Old 11-24-2002, 04:16   #9 (permalink)
TS 40

Re: Fuel Economy

Quote:
Originally posted by Muzza

BTW both are autos.

I have not timed the cars pre and post the Dev4 nor have I any dyno readings comparing the cars.
I just know, from seat-of pants experience, that the ED has received a massive power boost, that the difference to the XR8 is no longer huge and is close enough for me to really enjoy driving the ED after being used to the XR8.
Just a question regarding the autos.Was something mentioned regarding aftermarket stall convertors for the autos when using the higher level Mock kits????? or was this just for a Mock 5 kit???
StevenAU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 04:41   #10 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

what are you waiting for mate? get your cars out on a deserted freeway in the middle of the night and give your wife a run 0-110!!!!!!

did you get the Mocks to fit your head etc? just wondering because a guy up here has a ED with a DEV 4 and he isnt really impressed, i havent been able to tee up a race or even a drive yet so i dont know how it goes...i am wondering if his mechanic buggered something up when he put it in...wouldnt be surprised if he put in a standard cam and kept the Mock one for himself....

i have a set of mock extractors and a 2.5" exhaust, plus i got a set of their 'special' plugs but i havent adjusted the timing to suit them yet, - should be 12 or 14 degrees before TDC??? - the car freaking HAMMERS now, at least compared to before, i have absolutely wasted any V6 commo (and one VN SS) i have come up against (er, on the drag strip )

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech