Mods to 5.0's - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2001, 21:04   #1 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Mods to 5.0's

Well i've been reading the forum for a while now and now its come to a point where I'm wondering if anyone here has modified their engines. I'm not talking exhausts but real mods. Anyone here changes heads, manifolds, added superchargers etc. Whats been the best value for HP??
Waks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2001, 09:38   #2 (permalink)
TERRA359

for real HP go blown look at past topics
au supercharged etc
Old 05-31-2001, 11:48   #3 (permalink)
Mike

G'day Waks.

Yeah a few of the boys have. I think most of the mods are intake related, being MAF / TB / injector / intake manifold mainly. I don't think too many have done heads / cam / forced induction or similiar.

The only thing holding me (and a lot of other guys I'm guessing) back from doing "real mods" as you call them is $$$. Believe me when I say I've got plans... :-)

Of course, the more new members we get, the more likely we are to find more heavily modified specimens! :)

Cheers
Mike
Old 05-31-2001, 18:29   #4 (permalink)

New edition of Zoom Magazine....
Someone has just done a twin turbo XR8, I havent got the magazine but I will get it sometime on the weekend. Should be interesting to read.
slow xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 20:29   #5 (permalink)
paul

Depends on what model? Go back this has been debated before & depends on how far you want to go?.Open motor,driveability,and MONEY.You can spend $3 to $5k just on add ons.Heads inlet,etc..
Old 06-03-2001, 10:46   #6 (permalink)

Mine sort of counts as an XR8 engine,its actually a ho mustang engine which the aussie engines are based on with a few differences...
my mods so far include
extensive porting of the e7 heads
crane conical valvespring/retainer kit
gt40 upper and lower
fms e cam
larger injectors
a9l computer(first generation usa without too much emissions )
fms 65 mm throttlebody
aftermarket maf to come(vortech or pro m)

expecting about 270 to 300kw.......
HO50COBRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 16:14   #7 (permalink)
slim

tell us about the a9l computer, and the e7 heads??? I gave Kon my 93' Cobra EEC 4, cause I thought it wouldn't run in my EL.

Old 06-14-2001, 18:33   #8 (permalink)
paul

Slim the a9L is from an early 5Ltr they don't retard/richen up mixture up top as the Cobra etc does.Apparently they did that to help out the t5 g/box [maybe our auto too ??].Too many warrenty claims.I think you have to do something with your thermo fans they are operated from ecu. Check out corral.net/windsor forums.The e7 heads are the std h.o or 165-170 kw heads.If you want some I have some 20k.klm.They are nothing special as far as flow goes.
Old 06-15-2001, 04:17   #9 (permalink)

Hello Waks,
Phillip from South Africa here. A few tips if you are interested: You can use a 302 (5.0L) crank, with 289 conrods to give a better rod-ratio. Get compression ratio about 10.9:1. Use TFS Twisted Wedge heads from the USA, together with a Competition 280R Roller Cam (about 240 Degrees Duration @0.050" Lift), and get yerself a Victor Junior manifold, modify it to accept injectors, and put a Haltech F9A on the little bugger. Optimized you should have about 420-440 Hp (310-325 kW) on the flywheel, and believe me, it is a very healthy setup(Naturally Aspirated).

Optionally, you can use a BXR Manifold from www.mustangbxr.com, but they are too expensive in my country, as well as GT40 and variants, that is why I use a modified 302 victor junior! (Yeah, I know it is a single plane that works from 3500-8000rpm, but, that is with a carby-with fuel injection it is a much smoother setup-much smoother at idle, even with roller camshaft)

Mail me if you want any additional info.

Hope this helps a little.

Best Regards,
Phillip van rensburg
pvanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 07:10   #10 (permalink)

Slim,american computers cannot be run in aussie cars,ED on has smartlock etc, EB i am not too sure though?

E7 heads when ported will flow 200+ cfm with stock valves which is getting close to edelbrocks ,without the expense if you can do them yourself,go to fordmuscle.com for article on home porting and flow charts...

HO50COBRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech