Mods and insurance - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2002, 18:13   #1 (permalink)
Senior Events Moderator

Question Mods and insurance

Hi just wondering if you should tell your insurance company everthing you do to your car and how much more does the premiums go up buy. I have extractors, 2 1/2 inch exhaust, thermo fans , mags ect that i havent told them about now i may aswell ring them up and tell them of these mods otherwise i wont be covered and its going to be a waste of time getting insurace.

What i wanted to know is will it go up much more or is it just so they know what u have done to your car.

Thanks

Steve B
AUPS
AU1SIXA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2002, 18:31   #2 (permalink)

Well, thermo fans mean jack all. Best to tell them about your exhaust...technically, the premium shouldn't go up at all with that. They wouldn't give you extra cash on your car cause you got mags, that's a definate.

If you want to insure your car for more than it's worth (that's including the mags too) and you wanna make sure that you get your money back if your car (heaven forbid) get stolen, burnt or otherwise, then it's best to get an independant valuation.

It's best to speak to a guy that did mine. Call Independent Motor Valuations on (07) 3219 8511. It'll cost you $110, and the guy will come to you, where ever you are. Make sure you have recipts for all work you have carried out on your car, so he'll give it the best price possible. Then you take that valuation (you get it in the mail) to Shannons or someone like that, and they honour it. This company is recognised by all insurance companies, so you shouldn't have any problems going to Suncorp or (bleh) RACQ.

Hope that helps some.

http://www.hoon.tk
Ford XE Green n Gold 4.1L IL6 Nitrous Assisted. Best time to date: 14.338 @ 98MPH
Mazda 626 Faded Blue 2L IL4 NA Diesel!
Hoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 18:56   #3 (permalink)
Tickford EL XR6

Good info Hoon,

RACV in Vic reckon doing extracters and exhaust doesn't add much (a few dollars a month more), but it's the combination of mods they want to find out about, like stereo, mags, exhaust.
BTW, they won't insure cars with a high flow filter, but zorst and cam mods are OK. WTF??!!??!!
Tickford6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 19:20   #4 (permalink)

You guys actually pay more for putting on extractors? That's criminal! I swear the insurance companies are going down the toilet.....with a blue loo flush.

http://www.hoon.tk
Ford XE Green n Gold 4.1L IL6 Nitrous Assisted. Best time to date: 14.338 @ 98MPH
Mazda 626 Faded Blue 2L IL4 NA Diesel!
Hoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 22:45   #5 (permalink)
Last of the Good Ones

I told AAMI my car was lowered with a "sports exhaust" (extractors and 2-1/4 free-flow system). They said "yeah, no worries, just let us know if you do anything else".

Being 27 years old helps a lot, because they said under 25's aren't covered if they drive my car with those mods.

My premium stayed the same.

I'm allowed 3 mods.
Old 09-13-2002, 00:50   #6 (permalink)
Boat Hunting ;)

Quote:
Originally posted by BRING_BACK_XF

I'm allowed 3 mods.
hehe.... me thinks turbo for the third! :s6:
AU2 S-pack Owner: Silhouette Black, XR6 Wheels, Tickford Sunroof, C2R rear bar, Checker Plate Floor Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Blue Backlite Dash, Blue Painted Brake Callipers, Advanced Extractors, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, 2.5" Stainless Steel Mandrel Bent Custom Exhaust, Genie Muffler. Sony Explode 50w x 4 deck, Kenwood 140w speakers (front and rear), Boss 1200 watt Amplifier, 12" Orion Sub in custom box. More To Come!!
younggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 23:27   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Re: Mods and insurance

Hey AU1SIXA

Im 22, rating 2 and my car is essentially the same as yours with the same work done, i was insured with Allianz for $1200 a year and thought WTF?? Looked around and found RACV, $740 a year, got the extractors and zorst done and it went up to $790 a year, not much at all really when im payin by the month, only a couple of bucks. I recommend RACV, it seems that if your not a P plater they are actually pretty fair!
BlueAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 17:36   #8 (permalink)
98 EL Fairmont

I was quite surprised to learn that my premiums weren't to go up with any modifications I added to my vehicle. I was told that I could do whatever I wanted as long as it was legal, and not a turbo. Albeit I'm getting raped with $1400 a year, but at 19 and for the car I have, I'd say I've done quite well.

That was with SGIO.
St00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 18:36   #9 (permalink)

Hmm, I need to look round for better insurance it seems. I'm 24, have mags, extractors, 2 1/2 exhaust (and tinted windows) and I'm getting $1200 year (Just Car). Was previously with GIO ($670) until they told me they didn't insure vehicles with extractors. NRMA had some problem with 17x8's on an EL.
Old 11-12-2003, 19:00   #10 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

I'm a 23yo. I've been a rating 1 with RACQ for 1.5 years now. Rather happy with them (but never needed to claim). I was amazed, not only do I get my rating 1 being a 23yo male with a red, lowered, V8 ghia with sports exhaust (and YES definitely tell them, what's the point in paying any premium if you give them a window to invalidate your policy if they find something you didn't tell them about after a claim!) but when I told them about wheel upgrades they said up to $2k of wheel value no increase in premium. Also stezza upgrades are covered with the same premium up to some reasonable value too! Be honest with them and don't give them any loop holes to screw you with. BTW just paid my 12month policy today. Fully comprehensive $573.30 and that's with on street parking in an inner city suburb :s6:
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech