Ford Forums banner

mondeo misfire

2K views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  XR9UTE 
G
#1 ·
I recently brought a 1994 mondeo 2.0, 16v 136 PS whose head gasket hd gone. I removed the head which I had skimmed and replaced the head gasket. When I attempted to start the engine I had a misfire. I checked the voltage at the inector solenoids, all had 11v except for cylinder 4. which had no voltage. I followed the cable back to the ECU and there was no voltage on the output pin from the ECU. replaced ECU same fault. Please help.

G
#3 ·
Having had a closer look and a bit of hair pulling it apears that I had mixed the sockets up. just below the injector solenoid is a temp sender with the same size socket. Both cables attach to the same point on the loom. Costly mistake and a hard lesson learned.

G
#4 ·
Something to rememeber next time also jts8, Is that the EEC injector drivers are a low side driver.
So you have a 12V feed to all the injectors and the injector driver connects the circuit to ground to fire each injector.

You're lucky you have an EECIV mondeo as the EECV's have PATS which means you cannot simply replace the EEC without a big headache.
I went through this mess when setting up a Zetec 2.0L to be donated to the University of W.A. I ended up finding a Pre-PATS EECV and using a combination of two butchered harnesses from a '96 and '98 Mondeo not mention a bunch of different sensors etc. In the end it fired straight up and ran like a bought one. Albeit one without an exhaust on it.

Pete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.