Mondeo's... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2001, 22:15   #1 (permalink)

Question Mondeo's...

Can anyone give me their opinion on the humble Mondeo...are they a good car...are they THAT much slower than an EL six but have pretty good fuel economy? Looking at the later model but not TOO new (ie looking towards 98' model)
EL FUTURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2001, 22:33   #2 (permalink)
RACE

I don't think it's a bad car, although the zetec 4 needs to be reved to get much out of it. One thing I remember about it in one drive 2 years ago was how good the handling was. Nice and solid, although I don't know how good economy is as apposed to other 2l 4cyl.
Old 10-12-2001, 23:00   #3 (permalink)
The cat in the hat

Had a 95 model mondeo for a year. great handling & very light on the juice.....unfortunately it was an auto (company car) and really needed to cop the full boot to get anywhere down low....

Fantastic on freeway and not too bad once it was up and running....driven a few manuals as well, they are a real treat to drive. nice close ratio box that shifts well and combined with the zetec 4 not slow at all....
partsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 02:48   #4 (permalink)

Hmmm, well this will be a bit biased!
Mondeo Rules! It's a great handling car, and the zetec will get up and go. The duratec will even embaress BMW drivers! (If your into that kinda thing!)

monkeyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 03:22   #5 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Re: Mondeo's...

Quote:
Originally posted by EL FUTURA
Can anyone give me their opinion on the humble Mondeo...are they a good car...are they THAT much slower than an EL six but have pretty good fuel economy? Looking at the later model but not TOO new (ie looking towards 98' model)
I drove a '00 2.0l Zetec Mondeo during a trip the UK, and I must say it ripped! Handled a good thrashing and had no worries doing 160km/h solid from London up to west of Birmingham. Being half the capacity of the EL six, you do notice the difference in power/torque. Good quality car, no wonder the Euros like them. Still not my cup of tea size-wise, but for the type of car it is, very good. It was a manual, so I was able to make the most of it. :s3
Old 12-09-2001, 12:24   #6 (permalink)
Australian Probe Member

I concur with those comments. I was really hanging out for the V6 but it arrived in OZ about 6 weeks too late for my last compnay change over. Is it still available?
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 13:14   #7 (permalink)
Formerly J-type

From what I know of the Aussie Mondeo line-up you have to get a ST24 if you want the V6.

The new Mondeo which Aussie doesn't get but is sold in NZ has a V6 but it is only available in ST trim. (Zetec - S, for our European members)
For those who don't know the ST replaces the ST24 in the new Mondeo line up down under.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 03:38   #8 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

the mondeo is an excellent car. the 4 cylinder had no balls but the new v6 would be good. If only we could have it hear, it would most likely be a better alternative to camry and vectra if it would be in the same categry as them? I suppose thats the problems as it couldnt come without a loss, but i feel we have to much of a gap. the latest v6 is 2.5litres isnt it?
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 03:46   #9 (permalink)

i'm gonna be biased as well, but i'd rather go for a Telstar TX5 Ghia over any mondeo. they ARE a little bit older, but MUCH better value for money. of course this has nothing to do with the fact that my first car was a 1985 AS Telstar TX5 Ghia! hehe
Old 12-14-2001, 06:57   #10 (permalink)
a little bit sideways

Thumbs down hhhmmm...

we have a 95 mondeo that has been nothing but a problem child for the last 12 months. and that means money pit. try $900 for an alternator. dont know where you live, but if it is WA, then forget it!!! there were no alternators in the state and one would have had to come from teh east. try $120 for 4 spark plug leads. try a head gasket. try a constant miss that the ford dealer used their diagnostic machines on 4 or 5 times and finallt came up with a dirty plug / lead connection (despite new leads already being put on.

not to mention the tyre noise. the standard tyres sound like stuffed wheel bearings. RE88's fixed that. have had gearbox problems (auto)...try changing from 4th to first at 60, then to third, first, fourth etc....all rapidly. an engine that suddenly decided to cut out below 1000rpm.

other than that, nice to drive, when it works, and the interior is lovely. maybe it is just our car...built between friday and monday.
rsgerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech