More AUIII problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2003, 00:25   #1 (permalink)

More AUIII problems

Well as well as the gearbox problems, my car is now surging and reving when it shouldnt, whats wrong with it???

Thanks
BIGBADAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2003, 18:32   #2 (permalink)
Boat Hunting ;)

You wouldnt have been playing with any wires to do with your instrument panel lately have you?? or to do with your actual auto trans??
AU2 S-pack Owner: Silhouette Black, XR6 Wheels, Tickford Sunroof, C2R rear bar, Checker Plate Floor Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Blue Backlite Dash, Blue Painted Brake Callipers, Advanced Extractors, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, 2.5" Stainless Steel Mandrel Bent Custom Exhaust, Genie Muffler. Sony Explode 50w x 4 deck, Kenwood 140w speakers (front and rear), Boss 1200 watt Amplifier, 12" Orion Sub in custom box. More To Come!!
younggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 21:52   #3 (permalink)

Re: More AUIII problems

g-day bigbadau, I have an au2 xr8 i also have surging when i start it up off a morning . does'nt matter what the weather is like it still does it ,but if i rev it a little the surging goes, but under acceleration the surging is there always,mine does'nt rev by itself. It started when i got the pacies tri'ys and 2 2.5'' into 3'' cats back so i would say the problem could be either some connection is not in properly which i have checked or a sensor has failed somewhere. I think i will end up going to ford for a diagnostic and go from there . thx wayne
wayne2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 22:53   #4 (permalink)
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL

Oxygen sensors are the likely cause, especially where exhaust has been changed... replace both.
AUGhiaV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 23:08   #5 (permalink)

This has happened to my friends AUII XR8 after we fitted some extractors. But his feels like the car is being switched off, then on at 2200rpm under light throttle. Under full throttle its not there. Also the car is drinking a shit load of petrol.

We took the car to petro-ject and there was no error code for the oxy sensors. There was one for the cam sensor and the ignition coil though which we haven't touched. The STFT and LTFT were almost pegged at maximum so we believe the car is drowning in fuel.

Personally I would not take the car to Ford for a diagnostic. We couldn't get the car in for a full week for a simple 10min operation! In addition to that when I asked about bringing the car in for a diagnostic they didn't understand what I wanted but still wanted to charge us a $85 service fee!!

Although we still think the oxy sensors are stuffed on my mates car too. Petro-ject charged us $25 for the diagnostic but he wasn't quite sure if the sensors were dead apparently due to them being 3V not 1V and he was just starting a course on this car model on Tuesday night and would have a better idea by Wednesday.
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 00:39   #6 (permalink)
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL

I had a diagnostic run on mine also and no faults showed for the O2 sensors... but they were stuffed.

In some cases, depending on the exhaust system being fitted, the sensors are located further back along the exhaust path than normal - this combined with the higher gas flow doesn't allow the O2 sensor to measure the gas mix accurately. ECU interprets this as running lean and compensates by adding more fuel... engines runs too rich and drowns.

If your O2 sensors are in any less than very good condition they will struggle.

Does your mate's car hesitate at low revs and then suddenly 'explode' into action? Fuel consumptions soars.

Cover all your bases - clean the MAF, TB, Idle control, Air temp sensor and replace your O2 sensors (especially these) all at the same time. It is amazing how much these affect performance if not in good clean condition.

It is recommended that O2 sensors be replace every 90,000kms.

All up it should cost you a can of TB cleaner and $180 to $230 depending on where you buy your sensors). AUs take 4 wire. E-series take 3 wire.
Old 06-14-2004, 00:40   #7 (permalink)
Registered Snooser

Quote:
Originally Posted by not ford
This has happened to my friends AUII XR8 after we fitted some extractors. But his feels like the car is being switched off, then on at 2200rpm under light throttle. Under full throttle its not there. Also the car is drinking a shit load of petrol.

We took the car to petro-ject and there was no error code for the oxy sensors. There was one for the cam sensor and the ignition coil though which we haven't touched. The STFT and LTFT were almost pegged at maximum so we believe the car is drowning in fuel.

Personally I would not take the car to Ford for a diagnostic. We couldn't get the car in for a full week for a simple 10min operation! In addition to that when I asked about bringing the car in for a diagnostic they didn't understand what I wanted but still wanted to charge us a $85 service fee!!

Although we still think the oxy sensors are stuffed on my mates car too. Petro-ject charged us $25 for the diagnostic but he wasn't quite sure if the sensors were dead apparently due to them being 3V not 1V and he was just starting a course on this car model on Tuesday night and would have a better idea by Wednesday.
Same symptoms happened to me.
Even if they are not throwing out any codes the O2 sensors are still probably on the way out.
They are about $100 each and not that hard to put in, just need to get under your car.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:34   #8 (permalink)

The big question is will it happen again once the sensors are replaced?
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 05:00   #9 (permalink)
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL

Do you mean will the problem still be there after replacing the sensors (didn't fix the problem) or will the sensors stuff up again? If the latter, I haven't heared of anyone having problems with new O2 sensors once fitted.

If in doubt clean the MAF, TB, Idle control and Air temp sensor first then give it a whirl... if problems persist, see your doctor. Sorry, that's Panadol - I mean fit new O2 sensors.

I had all the same problems with surging, hesitation, running rich and the O2 sensors were the last thing I did... should have been the first. It's good to clean all the other bits I mentioned too though.
Old 06-15-2004, 18:30   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGhiaV8
Oxygen sensors are the likely cause, especially where exhaust has been changed... replace both.
g-day aughiav8, thx for that info i sort off figured that it might have been that sensor that has most probably failed, Ialso thought it may have been the MAF when i polished the inside and took out the bell housing inside my air box. thx again wayne
wayne2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech