Ford Forums banner

More bang for my buck

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Clutterz 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
I've had a 3.9litre CP injected falcon for a bit over a year now, and have spent most of my money getting it back to original condition. Now i'm about ready to start fitting some modifications to make it go like it's got a pair.
As i'm only 19 i don't have heaps of cash floating around and i've also got insurance to worry about. I was wondering if anyone could suggest what they think the best modifications would be to do on a limited budget that won't get me dumped by my dickhead insurance provider.

Thanks,
Clutterz

#2 ·
Hey how are ya buddy.

I'll suggest one thing as best bang for buck. Put in a 5 speed manual. I am with RACV, and they added and extra $20 to the overall insurance cost as a result of the conversion.

In my opinion, It is the best thing for the I6 Falcons as its probably the only cost effective way to get the Hauling Ass from takeoff, especially if there replacing a 3 speed auto.

Average cost would be just under $1000 installed, but if you shop around, and do the install yourself, you might be able to get it done much cheaper.

Worth saving up for mate.

Good Luck.

#4 ·
I'd say a manifold conversion The CFI just doesnt have the go really, even with a 5 speed. It also gives you a better base for future mods since the MPI will give better results with other mods.
It can be done relativly cheaply. I simply went to a wrecker and told them what I wanted to do, they said" OK, $150 for the parts you need" and I was away laughint. I did the work myself. It is not that hard if you are mechanically minded. Total cost for me was $176 since I needed a new MPI gasket from Ford for $26.
That works out to be around $9.50 per kw gained. Best Bang for the buck mod for a CFI anyway.

#5 ·
Thanks for your replies guys. I've always wanted to get the car converted to manual so i guess it might be the way to go. I'm not very mechanically minded. ( i was sweating just replacing the rocker cover gasket) How much do you think it will cost me to get someone else to convert my car to MPI?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.