Ford Forums banner

More Induction - An Idea

3K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  TIKFD6 
#1 ·
It seems the six owners amongst us have gone nuts on making changes to the intake to improve throttle response and gain a few more horsepower.

I was trying to think of an even better induction system, borrowing from our good V8 mates - and an old one too - let me know what you think.

If you've got a more recent six in your Falcon, you know the throttle body points left, if you're facing the front of the car. The current piping to reach that throttle body is a bit of a maze, see Broady Boy's pics with the whole thing ripped out.

To maximise induction efficiency, we want bucketloads of cold air, with minimal restriction and no convoluted airflow paths.

I'm sure my idea has lots of flaws, particularly space under the bonnet.

Picture a shaker scoop, fitted in a hole cut to the left of the bonnet crease, neatly between the bonnet reinforcing (which is illegal to modify I think.) Remember the old GT's that had the off centre scoop? Underneath the shaker scoop is a custom, moulded plastic airbox that fits your standard panel filter, with a small, straight duct directly into the throttle body. Alternatively, you have have the scoop direct air flow onto a pod filter, with the same small straight pipe into the throttle body, but I would have thought the airbox would help direct more air into the pipe for a better ram effect.

The airbox would lean slightly to the left, to help allow any water in the box to drain out through a small pipe and away from harm.

Stupidly impossible, or does it have an ounce of merit?

See less See more
#2 ·
i'll give you credit for this cause i've been thinking of the same sort of idea.But i was going to move the battery and have the air box/filter in that postion instead of looping back round to the front left.

#3 ·
One thing to remember if you are putting the airbox on the other side of the engine is there will be a lot of heat coming from the exhaust. So you would want to make sure you had good heat shielding...

Definitely a good idea, I have seen a similar thing done before.

They basically had a pod filter mounted straight on to the throttle body with a bonnet scoop directly above, centre bonnet. Also had heat shielding around the underside of the filter.

I have a pic around will see if I can find it.

#6 ·
Well, thats almost like what I described with the pod filter option. Not sure how he coped with the bonnet reinforcing if he's got it in the centre.

#8 ·
had exactly the same idea as xrfalcon when i was starting out my lil project. be much easier to get cold air from that side, no ABS etc to fiddle with, but then, touch your overflow bottle after running, hot as hell, put ur hand near the exhaust manifold whil car is running, the pulley on power steering pump blows lots of hot air around there, and not to mention the actual exhaust manifold.

If you could rid all these problems with that kind of setup, it would be very well executed. but i spose a HPC coated s/s pipe from airbox to t.b, and have the airbox HPC coated also may solve these problems.

Is anyone keen to do this, stand up and do it, we all wanna see. Personally i would put airbox where battery is, battery in boot, but venom's idea is not too shabby either. Someone give it a burl

#10 ·
Mark,

When I was at Herrods, Rob was telling me about a coated metal pipe they have designed to go from the throttle body to the air box. Unfortunatly it was over twice the amount they want for the V8 one as it has to go over the engine.

It gives a modest increase but I guess every bit helps. Once the exhaust system comes in (Yes, I'm still waiting for it!) I'm going to buy one.

#13 ·
Jamie XR6 said:
Are you sitting down?

$450

but if it makes a difference I'll pay it.

XR8 ones are $150
$450.00 woow it's abit expensive though i can imagine it's a good piece of gear from Herrods. Mine seems a good deal for $40.00 although it's not chromed yet.

VenomXR, i'll have to show you my setup one of these days.

#14 ·
Spinsky - love your pod setup.

Any diff to performance ? When it's all said & done whats it like ? Have you done 0-100 & 400 metre tests before & after ?

Also how did you get the EF/EL plenium to actuate ? did you fit the EECIV wiring harness & ECU ?

I read a review of air flow from various points of the front of a car, they concluded that the corner bumper section has the most air flow.

The bonnet section, where your scoop is according to the review, has significantly less air flow than the brake duct as on the EF. They said, that at 100kph, with cold air ducted from the bumper corner area, the amount of air scooped & rammed was greater than the air sucked or drawn from the engine, inducing a mild supercharging effect.

My soloution was the Tickford mouth AND the 3" pipe ducted from my ef bumper, with the ef plastic duct cover ribs removed, the EF lid, the EL rubber horse shoe at the throttle body and 3" racing pipe from the throttle body to the air box.

I also modified the the rubber tube inside the EF lid so that there is a bell mouth at the first rib point meaning it's 3" all the way.

Only done on mon arvo so only initial impressions, it's smoother, revs easier, more torque at highway speeds and at low throttle settings it's not so inclined to down shift. No economy figures for a while.

The result is - pleasing as I mistakenly had the EL tubing untill last week when I realized the EF has more CFM flow, hence the above.

Wow what allot of work.

#16 ·
If i'm not wrong i read somewhere that a longer pipe routing promotes better top end response and that a shorter run would benefit bottom end. Hence thats the reason ford used a relatively long pipe routing.

As well as that ford tried to get the best of both worlds by have that dual intake manifold that changes tracks at 3800 rpm.

So in my opinion unless the engine has had internal work done to suite a filter straight to the throttle body might lead to a loss of bottom end response.

Another thing to remember is if the throttle body was turned 90 degs from it's current position a new throttle cable must be devised, not that hard but something to consider.

#17 ·
XR_Strider_GuY said:
If i'm not wrong i read somewhere that a longer pipe routing promotes better top end response and that a shorter run would benefit bottom end. Hence thats the reason ford used a relatively long pipe routing......
Almost right but I think it's the other way around.
Long runner for low down torque - keeps the air velocity up.
Short runner for top end WOT power - get the air in ASAP.

Thats why the ef-on 2 stage manifold has the air take the longer path initially then at higher revs/load open a butterfly to dump the air straight in.

#18 ·
The "runner length" is more in relation to the lengths of runners from the ports to the common plenum (or to the open ends of the runners on multi-TB type setups. As far as the intake pipe sizing goes, I do gather that the length of that ducting can have an impact - ie. there's a point where the air column has a best momentum effect - not the same thing as pulse tuning of runners as such but similar result - I don't even know if it would be in relation to a specific rev range the way runner lengths are - my feeling is that it wouldn't as such, but would have a starting rev point where it begins to have an effect.

I read somewhere (Autospeed?) that the way to do it is experiment with different lengths of pipe off the TB - ie. on the EF/EL/AU style setup the ideal way to do it would be to get on a dyno then use a length of pipe that was maybe 4 feet long to start with hooked up to the TB and hanging over the guard on that side, then do runs while shortening it maybe an inch at a time and see if there's a particular length that works best.

#19 · (Edited)
i have an ef series 2 and i have cold air induction with a nissan patrol bonnet scoop reinforced bonnet hole directly in middle rear of bonnet. a box made to seal against bonnet mounted on tappet cover bolts with a rubber seal. modified k&n air filter on a 2" long pipe directly into maifold looks very neat and professional if i do say so myself it took some designing most items i made needed to be made at least 2-3 times to get right i would idealy love to sell this item on the market if i get enough support. i would like to show some photos soon of this if anyone's interested. my location is rockhampton i dont know how to put down the side there.

#20 ·
XR_Strider_GuY said:
If i'm not wrong i read somewhere that a longer pipe routing promotes better top end response and that a shorter run would benefit bottom end. Hence thats the reason ford used a relatively long pipe routing.

As well as that ford tried to get the best of both worlds by have that dual intake manifold that changes tracks at 3800 rpm.

So in my opinion unless the engine has had internal work done to suite a filter straight to the throttle body might lead to a loss of bottom end response.

Another thing to remember is if the throttle body was turned 90 degs from it's current position a new throttle cable must be devised, not that hard but something to consider.
sorry i missed the reason for the 90degree turn of the throtle body does exactly?????

#22 ·
Boy they pulled that one out of a deep hole! Still I'd like to see if anything came of this.

#23 ·
dig dig dig

#24 ·
pics!!! that EF sounds crazy :insane:

#25 ·
i said i would add some photos of my design of a cold air induction on bonnet. note the throtle body position someone mentioned earlier it makes no difference at all it only starves the front 3 tubes of air because when the butterfly opens it directs air to the back of the manifold what a waste it took 4 hours to do and 15 min to change back.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.