Ford Forums banner

motor knocking noise

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  daricho 
#1 ·
Recently my falcon had a service with the drive belt and front brake pads being replaced. Since the service when I start up I have been getting a brief squeal sound and now today I am getting a ticking/knocking noise from the engine. As I turn the engine off, I can hear a brief noise from near the oil dipstick area which is unusual and I think is related to the noise on start-up. The noise doesn't seem to be coming from the belt area. Also since the new pads were put on I seem to get a knocking noise as I apply the brakes (slowing down)...brake performance is ok otherwise...any ideas as i need the car for work and am not sure whether it's safe to drive with the noise from under the hood until I can get it looked at.
The noise still occurs when A/c on or off.
Thanks...

#5 ·
I had my a/c belt falling apart after i got my head gasket done for the 2nd time. thought my car was screwed, looked under the bonnet and saw the belt and missing chunks out of it. make sure you inspect all of the belt, cuz the first time i looked it appeared to be fine, but it was part of the belt that i couldnt see that was falling apart

#6 ·
Take belts off then check??? If the sump is anything like the E.D's they have windage in sump where the oil is splashed by crank against sides of sump. Making somewhat knocking noise...Could be anything from timing chain,auxilary shaft rattle,idler pulleys to bad engine mounts...Does it have good oil pressure ???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.