Motor swap 90 EFI into 65-73 body? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2006, 07:54   #1 (permalink)

confused Motor swap 90 EFI into 65-73 body?

Hello everyone, I have been looking through the posts for another like my question, but had no luck finding it, so please excuse me if you have heard this a million times before. I have a 1990 merc grand marquis that belonged to my mother who has sinced passed away. I can't bring myself to let the car go, so I have been thinking of using the drivetrain and making a special project car from it. The merc has a stock 5 liter and of course auto tranny, and I am wondering what the pit falls may be of dropping this set up into an older car? I am looking at 65-73 rag tops, from mustangs to cougars and everything in between. What ever I can find the best deal on that isn't rusted beyond all hope. :) I plan on building a cruiser and not so much an all out racer, though I will be looking to add a little more kick in the pants on my budget. Does anyone know of a guide or book covering the subject of this type of motor swap? I apreciate any help anyone can give, thank you.
grovertype is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2006, 19:00   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: Motor swap 90 EFI into 65-73 body?

I have no experiance with something like this but the 5.0l is a Windsor engine and alot of the 65-73 era Mustangs and Cougars had the Windsor in carby form so I would think that physically it shouldn't be hard to plonk it into the older car.

The hard part will likely be all the wiring that will need to be moved from the newer vehicle to the older one. The 5.0l will be injected so you will need to move the complete harness and computer into the old car.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:05   #3 (permalink)

Hmm,
if you want to dump a late model 5.0 into an older car...dead easy.
If you want to use the fuel injection...a bit harder in the wiring department.

If you want it to FLY, then put it in, ditch the injection, go for an Edelbrock performer manifold, and Edelbrock 650 manual secondary carb....

The 5.0 is a full roller motor, and with the above in them the really boogie!....beware....fuel consumption, they do that too :)

cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:24   #4 (permalink)

Hello guys, thanks for the input about this motor swap. I have been researching like crazy about this and have come find putting it over to a carb looks like the best option as well. I did find however, that painless wiring does indeed make a complete harness just for this kind of swap, but it works with the HO 5 liter motor only. So if anyone one is thinking about this kind of swap may want to check that out. Thank you again for your input, I will let everyone know how my project goes. :)
grovertype is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech