Mufflers and/or Resonators - what combo to get? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2004, 18:41   #1 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

Mufflers and/or Resonators - what combo to get?

I'm finally having an aftermarket exhaust system fitted to the BA next Saturday and I'm just trying to sort out my final choices.

I have a set of Jet-Hot coated Pacemakers ready to go, and am going to get a 2.5 inch Redback exhaust system.

After much back and forth discussion I'm going to stick with the standard cat for the time being, but my big question is about the mufflers.

Is it better to get two mufflers or a centre resonator and rear muffler or a rear mufler only?

While I don't mind if the car is a bit louder than stock - don't see much point fitting a sports exhaust if you can't hear it - I don't want people (and cops) to hear it coming 3 blocks away.

Anyone have any general tips on what combination will work best on an N/A 6 cylinder???

Cheers
Jason
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2004, 22:50   #2 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Re: Mufflers and/or Resonators - what combo to get?

If only it was that simple.

Generally speaking the idea is that you want to have as much of your muffler capacity as far away from the engine as possible (for performance). But this neglects other factors such as noise etc. Plus of course what will physically fit under the car.

On your car I'm assuming you'll run a single exhaust so you should have room for a good size straight through muffler (I always push the Magnaflow range as having the best sound) noting that the ultimate sound level will be determined by the factors of length and muffler cubic capacity. You can then 'tune' the resonance by selecting a rear resonator to suit your needs. Some people don't need a resonator but I'm old and all that! In some cases a hot dog would also do a good job of providing 'tone'. The idea here is to tack on a rear resonator and drop the car to the ground and see how it sounds in and out.

Just for info, cheap mufflers or poorly made ones (by inference I'm trying to tell you some places charge heaps for crap) are edge welded, have the in and out pipes in unsupported flanges, do not align with the muffler body, and are made from thin sheet. These mufflers cause a tinny sound and greatly increase resonance in the vehicle. A good quality muffler can give great audible noise outside yet not cause resonance on the highway.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 05:01   #3 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Jase im a big fan of the Redbacks, mine has two Straight through mufflers, 2.5" mandrel bent.

They Dont cost the earth but are good.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 05:48   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

An XR6... Use good mufflers as six's don't realy sound that sexy if too loud!!Imo...Agree with A.P..
Sorry Micheal.....Lol....
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 04:59   #5 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

I had magna flows on the car before the redbcks, im glad i changed, it sounds heaps better.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 07:07   #6 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

so redbacks or lukeys(from past threads) seem to be the choices

Ill take it as a complement i think.............
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 09:53   #7 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

i had a redback and it was way to quite ,i now have a lukey with only one big muffler and it sounds awsome ,and it doesn't drone ,only goes really loud after 2500rpm .$320
THEONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech