Well Paid, Trained Monkey
Join Date: May 2002
Multitude of Problems
I'm having a huge collection of problems with my 5sp EA S-Pak, I thought I might just list them here and see if anyone can offer some advice as to what might by causing one or some of them:
* The engine makes a knocking sound when the car starts that sometimes continues as I drive the car. The knocking gets faster but quieter as road speed increases and starts to sound more like a ticking, it goes back to a normal knocking when the car slows down. It doesn't happen all the time.
* When the car is cold, it tends to experience electrical problems. For example, when I turn the wheel and the power steering kicks in, the lights dim. Also components within the car sometimes flicker and lose power only to quickly regain it (ie - the phone charger in my cigarette lighter and the "Gas-Optics" display which tells me how much LPG I have left).
* The temperature gauge jumps around or just sits at the lowest setting, as though the engine was off.
* When the car is cold, sometimes when I am cruising (ie - downhill), the idle will just cut out and the engine will stall.
* Sometimes when I turn the key in the ignition to start the car, I don't hear the engine even try and turn over but I do hear a high pitch sound like an electric engine revving up.
* One of my high tension leads (the one closest to the front of the car) gives me a nasty shock when I touch it with the engine running (I didn't pull or adjust it, I just touched it).
* I have a regular problem with idle surging when I am sitting at idle (ie - at the lights)
Any suggestions towards any of these problems? I installed a new heavy duty battery two weeks ago, and that had no effect. Also, last weekend, my alternator fried itself, apparently it had oil on in (spillage from the power steering pump), the diode overcharged and the regulator caught fire. It cost $140 to replace the alternator, regulator and all the damaged wiring.
Any help would be much appreciated,