My car has a problem.... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2003, 01:00   #1 (permalink)

My car has a problem....

Here is my previous post

Hi everyBOdy!

I got a problem with my 88 ea s pack manual. tightehned up the spark plugs after a small misfiring incident, now my engine revs a shitload more freely!.. but towards 3500 and upwards, it revs very slowly, and will not rev above 4000rpm in 3rd 4th and 5th. what could be the problem? i was told that it could be a clogged fuel filter, making it run quite lean... what other problems could it be. Car is stock 5 speed has a 2.5 inch exhaust. New head, 200k. if you got ANY ideas whatsoever, then plz post :)

now.. heres the current status.. now my car will not rev over 3000rpm ( on full load) i can rev the car in neutral to 4k, with only my foot down half way, but as soon as you plant it, it bogs down to 3 grand and sounds like its either detonating, or running too rich or lean... :( i cant work out what the problem might be.. could it be the throttle position sensor? and has anybody had any problems like this before ? any ideas :)
Fryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2003, 02:43   #2 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

When my car wouldnt rev above 4000rpm in neutral and 3000rpm whilst driving ( auto ) it was due to a stuffed fuel pump. Is yoursa noisy? it sounds fuel related so start by checking things like the fuel filter, fuel lines, make sure theres no kinks, cracks etc, if all checks out ok get a pressure guage and test the fuel pressure. If the fuel system checks out ok move onto the ignition system, check rotor, cap, plugs, leads, timing

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 02:56   #3 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

It sounds like your timing is to far retarded. Does it make any clunking noises?? My old EA motor used get a really bad clunking noise happening around 3500rpm and wouldn't rev over it and it had something to do with the crankshaft bouncing coz the bearings were absolutely RS!

121kW 2.5L DOHC V6 in a car that weighs 1100kg's and looks like a 4 banger from the outside......SLEEPER!

1988 EA S Pak 3spd CFI.....Soon to be a 250rwkw HSV eating machine.
Latest update......MPFI!!
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 03:25   #4 (permalink)
Ride like the Wind

check the cat, if it rattles lots then it is blocking the exhaust. same thing just happened to my ED. I think this is most likely problem.

PS: just knock it with oyur fist to see if it rattles.

Barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 03:50   #5 (permalink)
EB wagon

Yeah, usually if yer cat is rooted, youd get a hissing sound aswell under heavy acceleration..

Brent
EB1 3.9L MPI Falcon Wagon with converted T5 / Pacemaker & 2.5" Redback sports exhaust / 2" lowered blocks at the rear, Kings lows up front / ED Tickford Head and Cam / K&N panel filter with XH intake Snorkel / Full EL Fairmont interior with woodgrain

89 EA1 3.9L TBI Falcon Sedan with 3 speed auto / currently being upgraded...
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 20:35   #6 (permalink)

HI!

Thanks for your help. Changed fuel Filter, no change.. took off air filter, and cleaned out the intake.. no luck... idles nicely.. just after 3 grand.. doesnt go NOWhere.. i presume my cat is fine.. i got a 2.5 inch exhaust. A mechanic said the timing sounds fine.. when idle ticks over nicely. has a new head on it.. so im thinking fuel pump is on its way out. thats in the tank right.. wonder how much it will cost.... any other ideas

talking about rattle, at startup it makes a weird rattlin noise..... hmmm.. could it be my cat isnt workin.. that mean... NO MORE CAT!
Fryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 22:23   #7 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

new fuel pump is $200 to $300 depending on brand
Exhaust by Lukey
Sound by Pioneer and Jaycar
Pioneer DEH P1Y headunit
pioneer 6.5 2ways
Pioneer 6 stacker
Jaycar 6.5 Kevlar splits
Jaycar 15 venom sub
Jaycar 2x150 wrms amp
Jaycar 4x100 wrms amp
PS2 by SONY
TV by lillyput
THEONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 22:32   #8 (permalink)
EB wagon

Hey dude, i got this problem on my EB too... Give it some heavy gas and it dies at about 3000 then comes back at say 5000rpm.
Ive checked EVERYTHING and i cant find a damnj thing! Ive come to the conclusion that its my ECU. They wired it up incorrectly when they did the MPI conversion and i think it was damaged from this. I will be completeing a manual conversion very soon so i am not going to replace the ECU till i do this...

Brent
EB1 3.9L MPI Falcon Wagon with converted T5 / Pacemaker & 2.5" Redback sports exhaust / 2" lowered blocks at the rear, Kings lows up front / ED Tickford Head and Cam / K&N panel filter with XH intake Snorkel / Full EL Fairmont interior with woodgrain

89 EA1 3.9L TBI Falcon Sedan with 3 speed auto / currently being upgraded...
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 18:08   #9 (permalink)

this is just an idea, but maybe pull the spark plugs out, check the gaps and give'em a quick clean up with a file. the higher you rev your engine, the less current the coil will put out, it's a known fact. also check for exessive wear on the spark plug leads, rotor button and distributor cap.
if none of these work, it maybe clogged injectors (bit of injector clean would do the trick), or as said earlier, the fuel pump.
hopefully it is only something simple like these.

good luck

daniel
Royal Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 20:15   #10 (permalink)

Check your accelerator cable, over time they stretch and wont open the throttle 100%. Get someone to stand or put some bricks on the pedal, and check that the throttle butterfly is opening to full. My guess that its not.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech