my dyno run...bugger... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2002, 03:11   #1 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

my dyno run...bugger...

well i got my car dynoed this morning, i have thought since i bought it that it wasnt running properly or making as much power as it should, and this was finally backed up by the dyno run.

i just wanted a power run to see the air/fuel ratio and spark advance as well as max hp, so no real diagnosis was performed.

the results, well, im happy i know what is wrong, but i dont know what is wrong, if you know what i mean...

the richest air/fuel ratio we could get was 14:1, which is not rich at all, it should be like 12.5:1 or so. so i know why it is crap, but i dont know why there is so little fuel getting into the motor - all the mechanical aspects of the fuel delivery system are in good nick, so the only things left are the sensors and or wiring...this sucks...

so the best the silly thing could put out was 133hp at about 3000rpm - the power curve went slowly up there, flattened out at about 3000-3500 and then dropped like a sack of poo after that.

i couldnt get a dyno video this time due to WH&S, and i didnt bother with a printout.

so if anybody has some really good ideas why my car wont richen up please post them here, we already checked the fuel pressure regulator and i have checked the MAP sensor wiring for power and earth, all ok.

the manual says that the voltage across the two terminals on the coolant temp sensor should be 5V, but i only get 4.6 - would this have such a huge effect? what are the correct voltages for the throttle position sensor?

any info appreciated, thanks in advance...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2002, 03:31   #2 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

What model series? In any event also check the resistance between pins A and B of the TPS with it unplugged an engine off. Should be 3000 ohms with throttle closed and 500 ohms with throttle wide open.
Old 09-28-2002, 06:53   #3 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

thanks mate i will check that.

its a 92 EB XR6 - as per my website...

Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
Old 09-28-2002, 10:13   #4 (permalink)

O2 sensor?

The oxygen sensor continually detects the oxygen content in the exhaust gas. Its output signal is connected to the ECU and changes to indicate a rich or lean fuel mixture. Through its output signal, the sensor "informs" the ECU if the vehicle is running rich or lean. The ECU uses the information supplied to it by the sensor to decide whether it needs to strengthen or weaken the fuel mixture to achieve optimum air-fuel ratio. This is referred to as closed loop control because the output (oxygen content in the exhaust gas) is measured and fed back to the controller (ECU) which can then correctly control the fuel mixing system. By ensuring that the mixture strength is always correct both combustion and catalyst efficiency are optimised.
Old 09-29-2002, 22:21   #5 (permalink)

Closed loop is only utilised under cruise type conditions on all the EFI systems I have worked on (no doubt the EECIV and V are the same). This means it only uses the oxy sensor to control A/F ratios when cruisng at a relatively constant speed (other conditions such as coolant temp being in normal operating range also come into play here).

As soon as the car is floored preset look up tables are used for fuel and ignition.

Having the fuel pressure checked whilst the car is being run on the dyno would probably be a good thing to do first (it wasn't mentioned if it was checked on the dyno?)

It could also be an airflow meter problem. May be try to find a buddy with the same vehicle who'll let you do some part swapping for fault finding.....
Old 09-29-2002, 23:14   #6 (permalink)

We are probably talking about the same thing here, but I will quote from the workshop manual.
<b>Closed Loop Mode:</b>
Closed Loop Mode can only occur in Closed Throttle or Part Throttle operation.
After the HO2S sensor has reached it's operating temperature, the PCM will use information from the sensor to enter Closed Loop Mode.
This will normally occur with the first few minutes of operation. In Closed Loop mode the engine is made to operate richer or leaner depending on the signal received from the HO2S sensor.

This mode is not entered under idle, deceleration, or cruise, it is used only when accelerating.

This EEC V.

I could be wrong, we are all here to learn stuff.
Old 09-30-2002, 00:12   #7 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

How many K's has the car done????

Could be a number of things, oxy sensor, coolant sensor, not enough fuel pressure (fuel pump/filter), dirty injectors. Also seen this problem caused by a bad ECU... Have you pulled the codes??? Most of the time the codes are useless, but they can point you in the right direction sometimes...
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 01:33   #8 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

no codes, checked fuel pressure and flow, new fuel filter, injectors were cleaned and flowed 5000k ago, car has 125,000k on it and has been stuffed since i bought it.

ECU only pays attention to O2 sensor in closed loop mode. when the throttle is flat it goes into 'open loop' mode, and should just pour fuel into the combustion chambers, so O2 sensor is not at fault in my case.

can anybody tell me the readings i should be getting at the throttle postition sensor at flat stick? also the voltage across the coolant temp plug is only 4.6V when unplugged, it should be 5V - is this a major problem? other people i have spoken to say it isnt.

thanks for youre replys so far though...

Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech