Ford Forums banner

My ED rocks but it stalls in reverse and when the A/c is on

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  EDFUTURA 
#1 ·
My car is stalling in reverse.

I just had the head gasket done by Ford and when I got tit back, it idles funny.

Its fine when cold cause the revs are up a bit, but when you hot start it, it idels just above the bottom of the lowest graduation on the tacho (600rpm) and when the a/c ticks on it shudders before picking the revs up a tad.

When i put it in reverse at the same time (when the car is hot started) it almost stalls then revs to about 1100rpm almost stalls then runs really slowly to the point where it drops off.

it doesn't do this in drive though.

Whats doing? Is it because the ECU is reset and it takes a while for it to re learn? or is the idle screw need a turn? or did ford **** my ED?

#6 ·
Assuming it's a MPEFI 6:

Drive for 3 km or more to get engine warm.
Disconnect ISC wiring.
Connect tacho.
Idle engine for 60 seconds.
Check speed with tacho (should be 450 to 650 rpm)
If outside this range and less than 750 rpm adjust screw to get 750 rpm.

Switch engine of for at least 10 seconds.
Back of cable adjuster lock screw (secondary throttle stop).
Idle for 60 seconds (don't touch accelerator).
Adjust idle screw to get 625 - 675 pn 3.9 L or 525 - 575 4.0 L
Swich of engine.
Reconnect ISC wires.
Adjust cable slack to get 0.5 mm clearance (except on 4.0L automatic - zero gap on these) on stop screw.

#7 ·
That was base idle.

Base ignition is:
Connect tacho to warm engine.
Air con off tran in neutral or park.
Connect timing light.
Highlight timing markd with white pain, chalk or correcting fluid ( while engine is off:s3 )
Put into self test diagnostic mode or ground STI terminal.
Start engine which will go through self test procedure (signalled by rev increase) and then run at base timing.
Loosen distributor clamp and adjust timing to specs per handbook or tuneup sticker in engine bay.
Tighten distributor and recheck base timing.

#10 ·
since you just got the head done at ford then i suggest you take it back and get them to fix it, dont touch anything our they might say you stuffed it, if they stuffed it they should fix it for free.

#11 ·
Yeah I went back yesterday - they guy there said that the computer didn't 'self-learn' so they resest it and reprogrammed it. Goes sweet now. No problems with stalling!!

I am going back to get it retensioned later in the week when i racked up some more kms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.