Ford Forums banner

My Ef Falcon Has Weird Noise

6K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  SimonH 
#1 ·
I have EF falcon station wagon currently has 260,000 kms on the clock, ive just done 41000kms in the past 10 weeks going round Australia twice, yes i am mad LOL without any problems yeha! but now i notice noise coming from left rear wheel i was told by mechanic it was the brake pad hitting disc and releasing i had this checked and disc machined infact all discs were machined but the noise is still there and getting louder It is noticable below 50kph with the car decelerating and it doesnt matter if i brake or not the level of the noise is the same. I dont notice the noise accelerating from start.
The only way i can describe the noise as if a big piece of tar is stuck to my tyre going round and round. But the tyre is fine, and so are all others.
I hope its not something more sinister like a diff problem.

Anyone who has any ideas please let me know it would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Simon

#6 ·
Check uni joints?? Have you checked run out on your axle ??Have you hit any curbs at all?Any way with a good rin turn by hand slowly and holding some chalk just off the tyre rotateif its out it'll rub on the chalk can also be done this way to check tyre out of round at tread as well rough way but its an easy way to check..
Is your drive shaft perfect?? They only need a dent and they are stuffed..Wheel bearings ??Personally I'd fit new rotors std ones from DBA are $50 each pluss fitting..Ohh have you checked diff oil?? Could even be the suspention bushes are badly worn as well...Shock rubbers too ??? Check em all...

#9 ·
sounds like wheel bearings.
we were doing a trip once (alice springs-adelaide) and one of them started making noise, then blew up from the heat. needed to be towed for 10 mins to get somewhere to be fixed. luckily we werent out of town very far.

apparently long distance driving stresses the bearings more than normal and its very common on coaches etc.

#11 ·
Not always...

My Mondeo went thru some wheel bearings in the short time I owned it (more than once too...).

It started off by only happening around left hand corners.... then both left hand and right hand corners..... .then all the time...

Then the vibrations sheared 2 of the four wheel bolts off..... then the suspension failed....

But to start with, the vibrations only happened at certain times.... not all the time, if that helps...

Cheers........... Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.