Ford Forums banner

My EF Falcon making weird noise

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  SimonH 
#1 ·
Hi

My EF Falcon Station wagon is making this weird rumbling murmoring noise coming from the low rear of wagon, i thought maybe from the diff. It happens when im doing 60+ kms and I take my foot off the accelerator quickly and let the car roll (no braking) particularly noticable when going down hill. I had Ford Dealer check diff back in September 1995( i bought it brand new) but said it was ok. Basically they had no idea what was causing the noise, so they got a technical Rep from head office to check it out. He went out with me on a test run and he said it was resonance through the exhaust. I was unconvinced but through my laziness i have never investigated any further.
If any of you have an EF station wagon and have experienced the same problem it would be much appreciated if you could let me know.
Also if anyone may know of any possible causes and solutions.
EF 1995 Falcon GLI stationwagon 4.0 lt and LPG (AUTO)

Cheers
Simon
ps. apologies for my previous empty post!

#2 ·
Hmmm sorry i can't help you on this on mate. So you say it's been happening since the car was new? Only thing i suspect which might not be right is an improperly balanced tailshaft. How does the car feel at speeds over 130km/h+.

#3 ·
yep ive had this problem ever since new.
I dont drive that fast but its fine when its cruising, i must take my foot off the accelerator quickly for the noise to occur and the noise continues as the car loses speed. Interestingly we tested another new staionwagon at the same dealer and it had the same noise but was not as bad as mine. You say unbalanced tailshaft you think may cause this noise? I must say i dont have any technical knowledge.

#4 ·
Not a CV joint?
Or a loose driveshaft?
Or maybe something to do with the brakes themselves.

I think I know the noise you mean, in that I think I've experienced it before (but only in a sedan). Are you sure it's not something simple like the jack or spare tyre bouncing around? ;p
Well you never know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.