Is my Engine block okay? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2003, 21:19   #1 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Is my Engine block okay?

Well i finally bit the bullet and am taking my head to COME racing to get "freshened up" a little bit and i am getting a new cam as well. Its a 250 carby crossflow in my XF.
I have to take my head off myself as well as install the cam. should be a good learning experience.
How can i check to see if my block/pistons etc. are in okay condition without taking it to somebody?
Also if i take my head off and replace the Cam what gaskets do i need? Is it only the head gasket, valve cover, intake and exhaust or is there more?
And another dumb question. How is the compression raised in an engine? I know the pistons can be changed but how else? Is the head shaved or does the block get shaved?? Ive heard conflicting stories.
Thanks guys.
Dan

BTW they say when my new head and cam is in and i get myself a new intake manifold and 4 barrel carby I should be making up to 250 to 260 Horsies. 200 to 220 with the stock carby and manifold rejetted properly. Cant wait!
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2003, 21:35   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

To get cam out you'll need to pull the front harmonic ballancer off,remove timing chain cover,carefull with sump gasget. I think you can get a tool that takes the cam followers out the top when head is off.So you will atleast need head,rocker cover,timing cover gasgets and a new tube of silastic and maybe front oil seal..
Check out K.B engine parts 5/21 Power Rd Bayswater 9720-6133..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 21:56   #3 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

if you do a compression check before you pull the head off that should tell you if your rings and stuff are ok, also after you take the head off check the tops of the bores to see if there is a 'lip' there on the inside of the bore, if there is a lip or if the compression check comes up with very differnt readings for each cylinder then it would be a good idea for a rebore and new pistins and rings, if you want though, if it dosent blow smoke it will be ok.

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 22:10   #4 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Thanks guys. How much would a rebore and new rings set me back? What about a reco block? At the moment my car doesnt blow any smoke but ill get a compression check and see how we go.

EBXR8240- by cam followers do you mean the lifters that comeout of the head and need to be replaced when i change the cam? The things that attach the cam and the pushrods. Ive been through my haynes manual and i dont recall any mention of Cam followers. I dont mean to question you but i want to make sure i know whats what before i start moving things.
Hey i live in Bayswater. Im just around the corner from power road so ill have to check them out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Cheers
Dan
Old 01-04-2003, 22:50   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Dan Yes they are the same lifter/ cam follower.A rebuild kit from K.B starts at $395 to $815 depending if you want speed pro, moly rings etc.You'll still need to machinist shop.. But check oil pressure and compresion first that will tell you how good she is..
Another way to check rings is to pull handbrake on hard if auto put foot on brakes auto in drive and load the engine up for short period while some one checks the oil filler [cap off] to see if any smoke or blow by come through if in good nick should hardly be any..Be carefull though and best only done on an auto.There should be slight vacuum inside motor at idle with pcv installed..Another is to pull each spark plug lead off one at a time then back on.. The engine drop should be about the same on each cylinder when in good nick..The eec can do this on efi cars..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 00:05   #6 (permalink)

how about a "hm star" engine or simular off the self fully rebuild ones? does anyone know how much they cost? i've herd you can get them through any repco store.. ??
AU Series 1 I6 Futura, 17" XR Series III Rims, Kings superlow springs and Bilstien shocks, K-MAC adjustable caber kit, xr8 snorkle, BMC Filter, EF a/box lid, custom storm water pipeing, pacemakers, h/flow cat, 2 1/2" zorst mandrel bent, dyno'd @ 117.2kwrw b4 bmc
ir33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 01:20   #7 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

yeah most reports i have heard about those engines have not been favorable, best to rebuild your own.

Dans if you do get your block rebored you will need bigger pistons to fit the holes - a 20 thou rebore, which is usually considered first oversize, will need 20thou over pistons, otherwise the clearences will be WAY to big between piston and bore.

if the bores are ok and there is no lip present you can just leave it, any money you spend on the bottom end will not give you more hp, unless your rings are stuffed and letting compression past or letting blowby occur - when you thrash it do you get any smoke out of the exhaust? black smoke means your car is running rich, blue/grey means oil burning and new rings (maybe rebore and pistons) needed.

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 02:28   #8 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Rollin- I dont get any smoke whatsoever even when i thrash it. Ill take it this week to get tested and see what the mechanic says. Then the head will come off on friday. There may be nothing wrong with it.
Im really unsure of the car's history and have no idea about this engine but COME racing recommended i change the bottom end if its done over 150,000kms. It has about 350000 on the odometer and is engine coded as leaded but the previous owner said the owner before him ran it on unleaded so it may have been changed. I know it ran like a dog on leaded, so if im lucky its relatively fresh.

ir33t- I went to Motafit in croydon asking about reco engines and the regular one was $1900 ish fitted and the performance one was $24-2500ish fitted.
The man at the desk said it was basically the same with a mild cam installed. They couldn't give me the exact power figures tho cos of too many variables.

Thanks for the info everyone. Its been a big help.

Dan
Old 01-07-2003, 21:24   #9 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

The compression test was done today by a mechanic and all i was well. The compression is perfect across all cylinders and i was told my engine has been recently rebuilt. I was pretty shocked i only paid $700 for the beast, i was at least expecting to buy another engine before i started modding anything internal.
I am a happy chappy today.
They even said they would swap my cylinder head over and install my cam once i had them back for $220. Saving me a lot of hassles and worry. This is the same place i got my exhaust done.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech