My Engine is giving me the SH*T* - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2003, 00:04   #1 (permalink)

My Engine is giving me the SH*T*

Hi everyone

yesterday, i drove my mates EA, its the same car as mine, EA series 1, 3spd, CFI. Now, it drove so much better than mine, it had more power, and was much more smoother. Mine has done 250 thousand km's, hes has done 240 thousand km's. Now, i know its my engine. I have replaced every frigin part in the engine bay, new dizzy, leds, head, raidiator, etc etc. Everything is new but the engine. Now, should i get, a reco MPFI 3.9 engine put in, or should i reco the current engine and get it converted to MPFI? i realy need some peoples advice here, i was reading a few posts about people whove done conversions, and there seems to be a fair amount of problems with the idle etc. Please anyone who can give me some help on this please make a post, anything, even if its price savings, etc.
GL PRO SOUND
www.glprosound.com.au
1LOWEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2003, 00:32   #2 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

maybe check the compression?
Old 02-28-2003, 01:36   #3 (permalink)

I have been thinking of the same question myself lately.

My EA S/W 3.9L CFI has a worn engine and needs to be updated, (lpg/petrol) have replaced all sensors, engine ecu, had cleaned the injectors (new seals too), new fuel pump and the thing still runs rough and overfueling (rich).
When i go for the pedal to metal combination, it is very flat (Lpg and petrol) to respond until the rev's get up a bit.

The eco/power switch makes a diff, much better in power (of course) but still not what it should be.

Inspected the engine the other day using a boroscope. Didn't like what i saw, but hey for 357,000 km's it aint that bad.
Has light scoring and i think it has a lip on the top of the bore. Hone marks have worn away.
Engine comp has yet to be tested, rekon it's not worth doing as i know it will be low as the bores tell a story.

Here's a question for the techo's out there (as i am a bit of one myself) but need to reconfirm a thought.

If the engine is down in compression (somewhat), this in effect would reduce your maximum valued vacuum would it not?

As engine wear increases can the MAP sensor allow for this or is the ECU programmed just for a specific value range of the MAP sensor reguardless of engine wear. And can the ECU "pick up" and "adjust" values for a well worn engine?

Engine technology today is relying heavily on vacuum, speed of flywheel, engine temperature values and alot of testing that i am involved with, shows that most of this technology applies to a normal engine condition.
And most sensors and performance problems arise when the engine is somewhat worn.

I am used to technology 10 years ahead of what these fords have. And it's difficult to establish back then how the Ford Engineers worked out there technology and how it operates and to what values.

No Longer a Ford Forums Member, have now gone to
www.BSeries.com.au

EA Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 07:31   #4 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

i am pretty sure that they can compensate for wear etc, but the thing is, no matter how much compensation there is, if you have stuffed bores and rings then you get less cylinder filling and more oil in the chamber, which lowers octane rating of the fuel, and you have less air fuel in there to start with, then a lot goes straight past the rings and into the sump, so you lose more power there etc...

get a EL motor+box from the wreckers or trader or something, and wire up your comp (i think its possible) then chip to get it to go properly and add a vacuume solenoid to change your manifold runner lengths and YIPPEE! one hell fast EA...

oh, and EA Wagon, i work at holden so im used to working with technology that is far more than 10 years old lol...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 16:14   #5 (permalink)

anyone know rough prices for reco engines? e.g 3.9mpfi, 4tltr? even some estimations would help abit. Thanks
GL PRO SOUND
www.glprosound.com.au
1LOWEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 16:57   #6 (permalink)

why not try and find an ef - el engine from a ford wreaker that has done around 60,000 kays
AU Series 1 I6 Futura, 17" XR Series III Rims, Kings superlow springs and Bilstien shocks, K-MAC adjustable caber kit, xr8 snorkle, BMC Filter, EF a/box lid, custom storm water pipeing, pacemakers, h/flow cat, 2 1/2" zorst mandrel bent, dyno'd @ 117.2kwrw b4 bmc
ir33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech