My Reconditioned Engine is in..has no power and running rough? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2003, 01:37   #1 (permalink)
mmm..Vee 8

My Reconditioned Engine is in..has no power and running rough?

Hey Guys,

Well the reconditioned engine was put in...and i picked up the car today...and its not running as i expected :-(

The engine feels like it has no power, and its idling roughly/missing a bit at idle (its idling at about 500RPM too low!), also has a hesitation when accelerating...i can also hear a sort of burbling/light poping sound from the exhaust when i let my foot off the accelerator and just coast along?

The place reckons that it is the carby causing it? Could a carb in a bad state of tune/needing a rekit cause all that?

My old engine had a miss too at idle...but none of the other problems?

Could it be the timing?? Because my distributor was transferred to this new engine...maybe its not in right?

Where should i start? Should i get my mechanic to look over the whole thing??

Thanks for any help

Extreme

5/1994 ED Futura Classic 5.0 in Polyneisan Green - One of the last ever built
Extreme_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2003, 01:47   #2 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Re: My Reconditioned Engine is in..has no power and running rough?

This is why I do all my own work.
Always they try to blame it on something else.

If the carby was fine when it went in, they have rooted it.

IMO, you should get a professional report done, if they find ANYTHING wrong ie timing or fuel mixture, then tell the engine shop they will pay for the report, and if they don't fix it you will be sending them a bill for the work required. All timing/tuning should have been done by them on installation of the motor.

Did you get a report on the condition of the motor from them? An itemised list of work carried out? Problems they found?
If not, ask for it. If they didn't do it, they cannot prove any problems with the motor are not their fault.

That sounds a little harsh, I know, but I have recently been fighting some shifty bastard on behalf of a mate for exactly the same sort of thing and am very pissed off with engine rebuilders right now.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 02:21   #3 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

It sounds like the timing is retarded. Grab your timing light and start advancing.....

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 02:33   #4 (permalink)
Whats traction?

Yep, i'd agree with soxx. Sounds like your timing is out. But if youv'e just had the new engine put in there make sure they don't/won't try any BS about you adjusting the timing.

If they have messed anything up and something goes wrong they'll blame it on your 'timing adjustment'. Be warned I have seen this happen and its nasty. Some places will use ANY excuse to get out of warranty repairs.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:14   #5 (permalink)
mmm..Vee 8

Thanks for the help guys..

im thinking of taking it to my mechanic and getting him to do the "once over" on this rebuilt engine and check all the timing/carb settings...knowing my luck the carby will probably need a rebuild too!

its just dissapointing...but eh...as they say "Shit" happens!

Extreme

Old 07-17-2003, 01:35   #6 (permalink)
mmm..Vee 8

I spoke to my mechanic and he seems to lean towards the carby/timing as well...after all the last rekit was done by the previous owner about 3-4 years ago...that and it has been possibly been fiddled with because the old engine was not in the best state of tune/running a tad rich

Can a carby cause roughness/missing at idle tho?? If it had a air leak due to a perished gasket perhaps?

Thanks

Extreme

Old 07-17-2003, 18:30   #7 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Extreme:
It is a common issue with reco engiens that they don't run right afterwards. Chief culprits are the carby/EFI and the ignition system. The thing to remember is that the engine reco guys are selling you a long engine - all the accessories etc remain yours. Sometimes, the reason the last engine died was because of faults in accessories.

Having said that the reco engine shops have the ability to get the car running right, but full tunes etc are not in their scope of work. And sometimes a healthy engine can make previous symptoms much worse because the old engine hid the problems.

Get a full dyno tune etc and I'm sure it will solve your issues. But best of all, what do the engine guys recommend? They do this stuff all day every day and I'm sure they've seen it all before.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 19:25   #8 (permalink)
mmm..Vee 8

They were leaning to a carby issue themselves...which is fair enough the thing looks like it needs a full overhaul/replacement anyway...

that was probably sapping most of the power out of the old engine...but the old engine was in a bad state..leaks everywhere/oil/coolant/head issues...so now the engine is fixed...onto the carby!

Thanks for all the help

Extreme

Old 07-22-2003, 17:57   #9 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_2020
They were leaning to a carby issue themselves...which is fair enough the thing looks like it needs a full overhaul/replacement anyway...

that was probably sapping most of the power out of the old engine...but the old engine was in a bad state..leaks everywhere/oil/coolant/head issues...so now the engine is fixed...onto the carby!

Thanks for all the help

Extreme
Tell us how you go.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech