Ford Forums banner

my sub and amp, Enclosure opinions needed

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  SB3 
#1 ·
Hey guys, nice board.
I have a Earthquake Magma 12'' sub which is DVC and outputs 500wRMS, that will be driven by a Alpine mrv-1507 amp and have a Stinger 1.5F cap.

I am recieving so many conflicting opinions on enclosre. I have ruled out band-pass as an option but am having hard time to decide between ported and sealed, can you guys offer me your opinions please.

Thanks,
gmanEA

#2 ·
if you are confident in building the enclosure the correct size, id go with a ported box.

main reason: SPL. youll get more volume out of a correctly setup ported enclosure.

theres plenty of sites around describing the differences in enclosure types, jump on google and search for "sealed vs ported enclosure" or something similar, itll give you a good idea where to start.

cheers

Jase

#4 ·
From what i understand in simple terms.. with sealed you gain more bass, but sacrifice "volume"... with ported you get more "volume" but sacrifice bass. So you have to work out what you want with the type of area available. Ive got a wagon so I went with sealed as the acoustics worked better with more bass IMO.

#5 ·
It all depends on what music you like, and what you want your system to do.

By this, I mean, do you want to have an audio system which is designed with maximum sound quality and tight response, or do you want your system to crank out maximum dB?

In general, a sealed box is smaller, easier to build, more forgiving in regards to wrong enclosure specifications and gives a flatter, more balanced bass response.

A ported enclosure is generally larger, however, it allows you to tune it according to your music taste, as well as your cars acoustics. A ported enclosure requires precise dimensions.

I spent 8 months testing the enclosures in my car.

#7 ·
A ported box will be usualy 20-40% larger than an equivelent sealed box.

A sealed box will provide you with a linear responce, with no peaks, good tight SQ orentated bass.
A Ported box will provide you with a louder (3db) system, with more low end extension. The tuning frequency of the box is crutial to get the sub to sound good, and to match you car and music taists. (prob a tuning in the low 30's would provide a good setup)

For some good help go and ask some questions at CarAudioAustralia. www.caraudioaustralia.com

People there will be more than happy to help out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.