My tales of woe and doom (longish) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2003, 16:13   #1 (permalink)
As Sober as Steve Bracks

My tales of woe and doom (longish)

Ok, since I bought the EA I've had a few dramas, all minor and fixable.... Now, Earlier in April I started suffering bad coolant loss, which was first linked to the welsh plugs (replaced all exhaust side welsh plugs), which then caused the rear welsh plug behind the trans to blow out, so that was replaced over a weekend.

Now that the welsh plugs are all ok, it is leaking coolant on the inside. Funny thing is, no water in oil, but oil in water and apparent water from exhaust on startup accompanied by white smoke... Fearing the worst I bought myself a brand spanking new ED head from Ford, along with a set of the AU head bolts and a gasket kit.

Get my mate (qualified mecho for nissan) to bring his tools up to my place this weekend just gone, so we can get the head off and see what the hell was going on....

OK, so far everything is going well, its all up taken us about 2 hours to get the exhaust/inlet manifold/rocker cover off. We start to take the bolt out of the front of the head (the bolt that holds the guide for the timing chain in) and we find that the guide was about one inch long... Didnt look too suss, but we compared it to a picture of the guide in the gregories manual which was about 7-8 inches long .... F$%K I think, last time they did the head they musta just tried pulling it out and left the guide bolt in.... thus snapping it...

OK now im gettin a bit worried, we start taking the timing cover off (which included removing the altenator, balancer and about a squillion little bolts that I'd never of seen) and discover that the guide on the drivers side is also snapped, and there is NO LOWER GUIDE AT ALL!!!!!!!

Being late saturday night we decided to leave it till the morning, only to find out that no ford parts places in our area are open sundays (or the ones that are are open from like 9.30 till 9.32)

So now Im just about to ring Ford and ask them for a set of the guides.......

Anyway, my rage is being taken out of my system by the fact that i will almost have a brand new car by the time im finished with the motor and crap, however next time I see the guy I bought it off im gonna jam whats left of those guides square up his jam roll......

Thankyou for letting me vent my spleen!
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2003, 17:06   #2 (permalink)

Wow, A brand new head. You're keen.

I have always had problems selling a car, I keep pointing out all the thing wrong with it. Looks like the guy who sold it to you didn't have that problem.
cs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 17:11   #3 (permalink)
As Sober as Steve Bracks

arg I know, I should rip his leg off and beat him with the wet end....

Just got off the fone to ford, timing chain guide kit (including all seals etc) comes to about 95 bucks.... not too bad, but they c##t that sold me the car should have done it... At least when I sell the car I will know that the motors all been done, new head, new welsh plugs, new coolant, new radiator, new thermostat....arg, **** selling it Im gonna keep the bitch :D
Old 04-27-2003, 17:40   #4 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Can I make a suggestion?
WHILE YOU HAVE IT APART REPLACE THE GOD DAMNED CHAIN!!!
also, check the crank sprocket for wear, grab it and see if it moves side to side on the crank, and also check the crank woodruff key for wear, replace if needed. You will be pissed if you put new guides in only to find the chain is rattly
OH, easiest way out of the lower guide falling into the sump problem is to use a non hardening gasket cement on the locating lugs, leave it to set, wont go anywhere!

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 17:47   #5 (permalink)
As Sober as Steve Bracks

crap, there was no lower guide at all.... unless its already in the sump :( ****en hell, more bad news.... does that mean motor out? please tell me it isnt so, im just about ready to shoot the thing....

Chain looks good, will check the other stuff while I've got the motor apart...
Old 04-27-2003, 19:17   #6 (permalink)

The chain may look OK but might still be stretched.

It would be a bugger if the guide dropped into the sump.If you have the timing cover off you may be able to drain the oil and trawl around the sump with a magnet, otherwise the sump will have to come off, or you can always try to forget it ever happened.
cs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 20:24   #7 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

well mine didnt have the lower guide at all either, im thinking its in the sump and ive had no dramas with it. Usually it falls off when you are trying to install the timing cover.
The best way is as I said before, smear some non hardeneing gasket cement over the locating dowels on the inner of the timing cover. push the lower guide into place as far as it will go and leave set for a while. When installing the cover itself, dont try and push it into place by hand, it is better to slide it in place enough to get the bolts started then working a little at a time on each bolt, bring the cover in evenly. This will avoid twisting the top gasket out of place. Make sure the sump is dropped as far as it will go to provide clearance for the lower guide. I would replace the chain, mine looked like new but was stretched, I made the mistake of replacing the guides without the chain....lets just say I wasnt a happy man

Also soak your tensioner in fuel for a while, then lightly oil it ( new oil ) before reassembling it

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech