Myths put to rest - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2002, 14:46   #1 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Myths put to rest

What a weekend....
Spent all of Saturday and most of sunday stuck underneath my EA...Removed the 4 speed auto ( what a prick of a job ), removed the flexplate to check condition of the rear welsh plug, all good there. Time to fit the 3 speed Auto, Easiest way here is to bolt the torque converter up, remove the bellhousing and bolt it to the back of the block, line the pump up on the tranny and slide her in ( take a little longer but it SO much easier to line up )

Myths put top rest...

4 speed Auto and 3 speed Auto tailshafts are IDENTICAL

4 speed EA mounting points are completely different to the 3 speed equipped EA's.....we had to make up a bracket and used the 4 speed mount on the 3 speed box.

Selector box and associated arms are different ( obviously )

Wiring Looms are completely different, still havent got reverse lights working but it was getting too late to give a shit.

Kickdown cable bolts straight onto the throttle body...no levers required

So in the end it was a bastard of a job but the results have been promising....the thing flys! runs better, runs cooler and actually reverses!

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2002, 17:51   #2 (permalink)
EB wagon

Hey dood.... usually people r converting the opposite way... why did u wanna 3spd???

Brent
EB1 3.9L MPI Falcon Wagon with converted T5 / Pacemaker & 2.5" Redback sports exhaust / 2" lowered blocks at the rear, Kings lows up front / ED Tickford Head and Cam / K&N panel filter with XH intake Snorkel / Full EL Fairmont interior with woodgrain

89 EA1 3.9L TBI Falcon Sedan with 3 speed auto / currently being upgraded...
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 21:08   #3 (permalink)

i think from a prev. post and from hints above that his 4 speed auto is rooted (ie no reverse part in above post) and that i think he said from a while ago he was saving for 5 spd man conversion. (blows me if this is right or not if not ill be corrected for sure :) )
6pAc|30nG|00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 00:31   #4 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

hehe 3 speed is heaps cheaper than another 4 speed or a 5 speed conversion......the 3 speed actually has very smooth shifts..I do miss the 4th gear a little but yeah my 4 speed used to change between 3rd and 4th whilst on the highway..and reverse basically didnt work.....

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech