NC Climate uncontrolled - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2003, 06:46   #1 (permalink)

NC Climate uncontrolled

Every now and then my NC Ghia's climate control goes full hot, fan speed nine and vented to the screen.
It stays the same down to temp level 16.5. At 16, the temp goes full cold, the fan goes to H and the vents go to face level.
The only way I've found to get it all back together is to switch it on and off a few times using the Off and Auto buttons. Any ideas?

Cheers
Charles
Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2003, 07:13   #2 (permalink)
Ex Member

temperature sensor

dont know anything about Nc's so i cant tell you where it is or how it works
Old 06-22-2003, 19:29   #3 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Re: NC Climate uncontrolled

The full hot and full fan, sounds like it going into demist mode, dont know why it would feel a need to do that.

Doesnt sound like it is going to be an easy fix, would have to guess a computer some where is not behaving and getting confused, wish I could offer more.

Good Luck.

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"

Last edited by Dellboy999; 06-22-2003 at 19:31.
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 07:09   #4 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Check vacuum hose fittings and end of intake runners.
Old 06-23-2003, 17:13   #5 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

Generally if it goes to the screen it is a vacuum leak but that doesn't explain the fan speed. It's check the cabin temp. sender. I think it is located behind the grill next to the clock.
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 18:18   #6 (permalink)
Still Dazed and Confused

It's usually natural for when demisting for fans to go full speed because it works on auto and the fans will stay that speed till the temp sensor reaches desired temp.

As for why it switches to demist, I'm sorry but I have know idea.

If there's commotion coming from the passenger seat, and nothing but earth going round and round outside the windows,.......then everything is not as it seems!

The only time you have too much fuel, is when you're on fire!
rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 19:31   #7 (permalink)

Thanks guys
I posted the problem in the hope that it was a common-ish fault but it looks like Iím in for some diagnostic fun and games.
Dellboy is on the right track, it is going into demist mode. I caught it in the act yesterday just as it started its party trick. The demist icon on the display flashed on briefly and I think I heard a relay operate (no, I wasnít driving at the time). Funny though, the display then went straight back to displaying auto and face level even though the system was actually in demist mode.
I still havenít been able to work out what triggers it, it seems like a random thingówhich to me seems to indicate something other than the electronics.
Next step, I suppose, is to get hold of a genuine manual and try to learn how it all works. Iíll let you know if I make any progress.

Cheers
Charles
Old 06-24-2003, 05:45   #8 (permalink)
BOFH

I used to have the same thing happen on the odd occasion on my EB Fairmont. I just used to get out the manual and go through the reset proceedure on the climate control - cant remember what it is though. Never got it fixed but it only happened about 5 or 6 times over the 7 years I owned it. I think it's just a bug in the system.

Cheers,

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 06:16   #9 (permalink)

Thanks Casper, I thought I had it fixed when I ran the diagnostic mode and it worked okay. Didn't last though. It's getting harder and harder to restart it so I reckon you're right about a glitch--maybe the guy who programmed it went on to develop Windows 95.
I ordered a genuine manual from Bookworks today ($149 post free) so I'll check out the reset on the weekend. If it only does it once a year from then on, I'll be a happy camper.
Bit annoyed though, I paid a whole $5000 for the car (5 litre, 210000k, not at all shabby) at John McGrath Ford (ACT) last Saturday and look what happens...

Cheers
Charles

EF, NC, VP (oops)

Old mechanics never die--and their tools don't rust either
Old 07-16-2003, 23:32   #10 (permalink)

found the bugger

Yay!
On further diagnosis, the system wasn't switching to demist after all, at fan speed 9 there's a fair amount of air bleed to the screen, making me think it was going to demist.
After trying everything I could think of, I resorted to the 'thump the crap out of the dash near the sensor' method and every time I did it, the temp went back to where it should have been. Just goes to show, sometimes the old methods are the best.
Thinking it was an intermittent open in the cabin sensor circuit, I pulled the sensor and control unit out and disconnected all the relevant conectors. I didn't find anything obvious apart from some wires near the sensor that had been trapped behind some trim. I pushed and pulled all the connections etc. with a multimeter attached, couldn't find any opens so put it all back together hoping it was just a dry joint at a connector.
Just to find out, I disconnected the cabin sensor with the system running and it did exactly what it had been doing when it was playing up.
Just back from a long drive and it seems like it's fixed now.
Wasn't hard to get the sensor out, if anyone has a similar problem, I can copy the removal procedures from the manual.
Unfortunately, if it's the actual sensor at fault, FOMOCO don't stock 'em any more...bastards.

Cheers
Charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech