Ford Forums banner

need advice on a 4.2 v-6 swap

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Steffo 
#1 ·
Hello to everyone. This is my first post so excuse me if I posted in wrong place.

My problem is I have '97 F-150 with a 4.2 in it and it is starting to make alot of noise. I would like to swap it with a v-8 of some kind. does anyone know how difficult this would be and what would be the best v-8 to go with? The tranny is a 5 speed manual and I don't know if it will hook up to any v-8's. Everyone that I have talked to says that trying to make this swap will be a nightmare, I'm just trying to get some help from some Ford folks!

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

#2 ·
A V8 swap into your truck is not a difficult thing at all. 1997 - 2000 F150s had the 4.6 SOHC 2v V8 and the 5.4 SOHC 2v V8. Either one of these from a 1997 - 2000 F150 will fit like a glove, and should bolt up to your five speed gearbox. I can't forsee any real difficulty in doing this swap, as the 4.6 and 5.4 came stock in the F150 anyway. I think the 2001+ F150s are a bit different though, but I may be wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.