Need advice with bbm conversion - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2003, 18:16   #1 (permalink)
Gonna fit a twin cam

Need advice with bbm conversion

Once Ive finished the manual conversion, the next thing on the list is the head. Ive already had my spare machined and pressure tested, and its all fine. Im looking at puting in a wade cam (mabey a bit of head work), and fitting the bbm from an ef/el (been offered one for $75 inc injectors, but no air box).

What I need to know is, what wireing changes are needed to fit the loom, what other parts I might need (besides the manifold which has everything attached), and will the current gas system hook up.

By the way, the current engine is a 3.9ltr mpfi. Will I have to relocate the gas mixer (its mounted to the passenger side strut)

Any help (or even pics) would be great.

Thanks in advance,
Tim
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2003, 19:56   #2 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Re: Need advice with bbm conversion

It'll all go straight onto an EA loom.
Except for the TPS and ISC connectors, you'll have to change them over.

If the gas is pumped into the intake pathway you can probably rig something up, if it goes into the throttle body you may have to use the EA throttle body on the EF manifold.

As for whether the gas lines'll fit.....NFI mate, you'll have to work that out yoursef - there are so many different styles of fitting out there it's not funny.

Good luck!

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 18:16   #3 (permalink)
Gonna fit a twin cam

Thanks for the help. Also found another detailed thread on this subject.
Forgot to mention, that once htis is done, Ill have a mpfi set up for sale (everything except the ecu and the fuel pump), and mabey also some gas parts (depending on what I have to change.
Old 09-22-2003, 18:43   #4 (permalink)
-

Paste the URL of the other thread?

Depending on the size of the EF throttle body, you should be able to hook up the gas mixer the same way. Ive seen the convertor on the exhaust side on an EF/EL before, so i dont know if itll fit on the intake side with the BBM manifold.

Interested to see how you go!

Are you going to fit the EL ECU as 9psi suggested (best idea IMO), or use an aftermarket switch for the BBM?

Jase
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 18:43   #5 (permalink)
-

PS: the ef/el injectors are the same as EA, you dont need to change. not sure about fuel rail.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:02   #6 (permalink)
Death to Camry's!

Hmm.. Fuel rail is different i believe, and Im almost certain that just plugging in an EL ECU wont help, because it needs smartlock, and im unsure if the wiring looms from an EA would be compatible. the only real way to do it is to do as Walkinshaw has, and fairly much rewired the entire car to take the BBM and EF dash... but on that same token, there may be other ways to do it
MightyEFGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 02:11   #7 (permalink)
-

well 9psi eb did it to his EB with smartlock. id think you could hook up smartlock and keep the existing looms... depends how hard it is i guess.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:37   #8 (permalink)

Fuel rail is a higher pressure on the EF/EL, the pump is different as well.
EA Smartlock will work with anything through to AU. I simply bought an NC dash and wiring loom and bolted it straight in (the heater box is different due to the climate control, which I believe is overrated - you could wire up your old unit if you wanted); that gave me Smartlock with a minimum of effort. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to pick up an EB serII dash for very little - it's not as if the wreckers sell them - and it should plug straight into your existing plugs, much easier than pissing about with a Smartlock module IMO :)

EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Old 09-23-2003, 03:39   #9 (permalink)

Oh OK you have an NA so you'd want a climate control dash anyway. My bad

EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Old 09-23-2003, 15:56   #10 (permalink)
Gonna fit a twin cam

Thanks for the help guys. For the moment, Im going to run with the standard ecu, and use an rpm switch. As the car doesnt have smartlock, im not sure what ill do about using a el ecu (besides, ill need a manual one anyway). The plan (next year) is to do what walkinshaw has done anyway, and transplant the entire el dash into the car (already got the door trims) and do it that way. Does any one know if there is a difference between the bbm loom plug and the mpfi plug (the one at the firewall)??
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech