Ford Forums banner

Need help

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  clevokid 
#1 ·
Hi guy's I need a little bit of help here, I'm curently looking at buying a 1997 Laser Liata GLXi, now I took the car for a test drive today and it went well but it had a little niggling problem,it seemed as though it wanted to go to the left all the time while driving, it wasn't real bad but noticable, the vehicle has only done 49,000klm's and the tyre's arn't scrubing anywhere, so I don't think a wheel allignment is needed,I'm just at a loss as to why it wanted to vere left all the time, and one last question I noticed it sat on 3000 rev's at 100klm's, doesn't this seem a bit high, the only reason I think this, is my old man has the laser model before this one that I'm looking at and it sit's on a lazy 2500rpm at 100klm's. :fraz:

#2 ·
hi, a wheel alignment will tell u if the front end is bent. the wheel alignment can be out and not affect the tyre wear. as for the revs@100, it could just be a different final drive ratio or if it's auto that the overdrive isnt working or on.

just a quick note about these cars, make sure the fuel filter has been replaced - cos u dont wanna do it if u can help it. it's in the tank and u buy it as a fuel pump/sender/filter assembly and at last count they were close to $200.

#5 ·
I rang up Autobarn today and they said it was $56 for the fuel filter but they couldn't tell me were it was located, can anybody shed some light about this,or is there a site I can go too that has info on Ford laser's.

#7 ·
Sounds like it needs more caster on front left...Alignment...
It sounds like a 4 speed with those ratios...
Has it been repaired?? From an accident ???
Low klrs means it's been off road for some time maybe???
Might have 1300 box with those ratios????
Very suspect...Check for damage around front rails, mounts etc....
At a guess I would assume an internal filter would be open element.. and inline would be covered??? It may have both ?? Either way an external one added won't hurt....

#8 ·
ebxr8240 said:
Either way an external one added won't hurt....

i agree. in the past i've removed the filter from inside the tank to prevent a blockage and put a Z200 inline somewhere accessible on the underbody. the only problem with this is that is no longer has a filter pre-pump - and it's obviously not the right thing to do which i why i didnt mention it before.

hey, the one u'r looking at may not even be the same model. i just had a look on my repco pricing and it says the filter is $26.30 but that doesnt mean it's the right one.

the liata is the part that caught my eye.

#9 ·
I've meet the original owner's and they tell me it's never been in an acident, and it has all the book's with service record's carried out in it, so it's a genuine 50,000klm vehicle and I've had a look over it and it seem's very straight and clean, I've done some research on the rev's thing and it is the way Ford made them, they have a .779 5th gear and a 4.105 rear, where as the other model I was comparring againt's (KF/H) has a .773 5th gear and 3.85 rear, there fore the KJ sit's on 3100 rpm at 100klm and the KF at 2500 at 100klm, but the extra 600rpm I hope shouldn't make the economy a great deal more, I hope, Ford quote's 1 litre per 100 difference between the two on the hwy and half a litre difference in town., Now all I need to do is find out where the fuel filter really is, as I rang up ford today and they shown me a picture and it look's like it's on the firewall but it was for a 1.6 litre where as this one is a 1.8, and other people say it's in the tank,I'm so confused.

#10 ·
KJ laser's 1.6 & 1.8 have the fuel filters mounted on the firewall at the bottom in the centre. Filters in the tank started with the KN series lasers. As with the pulling situation try swapping the front wheels with each other then see if it stops pulling or pulls to the right before paying for an alignment, it may have a conical tyre causing it to pull.

#11 ·
SPALDING GREEN said:
KJ laser's 1.6 & 1.8 have the fuel filters mounted on the firewall at the bottom in the centre. Filters in the tank started with the KN series lasers. As with the pulling situation try swapping the front wheels with each other then see if it stops pulling or pulls to the right before paying for an alignment, it may have a conical tyre causing it to pull.
Thank's mate.

#15 ·
Have got a KQ Laser 1.8 and was told by Dealer that fuel filter is due @ 50,000 service and it was about $130 for the fuel filter. Does anyone know if it is in the tank and if so how hard is it to replace? Took it to Melb on Tuesday used 21 litres to do 300 k`s, whatever that works out at but didnt seem too bad. Gr8 little car it is mrs luvs it. ( not a patch on the XR6T I want to trade it on thou lol )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.