Need help BADLY!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2006, 22:26   #1 (permalink)
GRNSTANG

Need help BADLY!!!

Well, a couple of days ago, my 3.8L, 01' Stang started spurging when I accelerate, so I changed the air filter and it seemed to help a little. Then the next day, The car wouldn't fire up. I pushed the Ignition wires in and she started right up. Next day, same thing, wouldnt fire, tried the same thing again and wouldnt start up. So I replaced the ignition wires, nothing. Now I have been attempting to replace the spark plugs but on my 3rd one, the spark plug breaks in half(old one) and its stuck. The rest of the plugs are not coming out either.
Is there anyone that can give me some advice on how to get the spark plug(s) out and also maybe an idea of why she wouldnt fire up? THanks...
erize127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2006, 09:23   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: Need help BADLY!!!

Before trying to remove the broken plug, spray some penetrating oil around the plug hole and let it set and do its job. I've never had a plug break on me so I don't have any advice there.

As far as why your car won't start, we need to know if you have a spark or fuel problem. Do you know if you have spark? Can you hear your fuel pump come on?
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 17:57   #3 (permalink)
GRNSTANG

I will definitely have to go check out if the pump is coming on, I never noticed that. But, When I try to turn her on, there is full battery and power, I just get a loud re-occuring clicking sound(like its trying to fire up).Again, this is all before I attemped to replace spark plugs. But, thanks also, I will definitely put some oil on them, I have heard that more than once.
Old 12-24-2006, 18:37   #4 (permalink)
Always the student

If you're just getting clicking sound, engine not turning over, it is most likely a bad connection. Check to make sure connections are clean and tight. battery to solenoid to starter. Also wires can be corroded under the insulation.
Old 12-24-2006, 20:01   #5 (permalink)
GRNSTANG

Thanks again, I will check that out and get back to y'all...
Old 12-27-2006, 06:26   #6 (permalink)

If you get the plugs out it would be a good idea to put some anti seize on the new ones to prevent that from happening again.Also I've used a 3/8 impact wrench on them to jiggle em out, low seting though..Not really recomended but if they break off or strip the conventional way the head may have to come off anyway.It's always worked fo me but mabe i'm lucky
grub5891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 15:03   #7 (permalink)
GRNSTANG

Thanks for the Info guys, I really appreciate it. I have finally got the plugs out(especially the snapped in half one), but I am still stuck on the #1 cylinder, I cant get the Plug out for the life of me. Its still intact but I just cant get it to come loose. I need some more strentgh I think though.
NEW SCENARIO: WHen I get the plugs installed, if it doesnt start up, What could be the problem? If it was a bad fuel filter or pump, how would I go about checking them out?
Old 12-27-2006, 15:56   #8 (permalink)
Always the student

Are you just using a regular ratchet, kind of on the short side? I have a longer ratchet I prefer to use for more leverage. You can use and extension and a deep-well socket over the ratchet handle. Just make sure your socket is on the plug well and keep it as straight as possible. I also prefer, rather than just torque the ratchet hard, either giving it a quick snatch or hit it with a hammer. I don't suggest this method (hammer)on your plug without some experience doing it. (May cause more harm than good)
Old 12-27-2006, 20:42   #9 (permalink)
GRNSTANG

Yeah I am using a extended one, but I think I just need some more force on it. I will get it eventually, but after I get everything installed, is the car gonna start? If not, that is when it gets difficult for me. I finally aquired a haynes manual for my car(I know, not the most helpful tool) but it has answered quite a few questions for me. Well I will give it a werl and get back to y'all, thanks again for the help!
-erize
Old 12-28-2006, 09:37   #10 (permalink)
GRNSTANG

Well, I finally got the old spark plugs out and the new ones in. I tried to start her up and she fired right up, BUT, after I killed the engine, I tried to start it up again, and nothing. She is making the same sounds as before. But the low fuel light did come on and when she started up she sounded like she was definitely chugging for gas or misfiring or something.????? I dont know what to do, I am so confused and I need some more advice please! Thanx...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech