Need help people's.... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2003, 23:40   #1 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

Need help people's....

My cars sick, I need everyone's/anyone's opinions on what is the likely cause.

Symptoms:

Rough idle
Losing a lot of water, saw some water dripping from the back of the engine a couple of days ago.
Water condensation on bottom of oil cap, but dipstick only shows clean oil.

My first thoughts were that the head gasket must be blown, but we drained the sump oil and it showed no traces of water. It has been doing this for about 4-5 months, and it's really starting to sh1t me. We can perform most kinds of repairs ourselves, it's just finding the problem that were having trouble with.

I'm still leaning towards the headgasket, but we don't want to start ripping the engine apart until were fairly certain this is the cause. Anyone got any suggestions? Just need some feedback soon, before I go to a mech to find the problem.

Old 05-08-2003, 01:21   #2 (permalink)
Ford Nut

its more than likeley ur head gasket buddie! no water in the oil doesnt mean a thing. whats probably happened in ur case is a water passage part of the gasket has blown and its leaking out, possibly into a cylinder aswell. check ur spark plugs for water vapour, if there is any, that will explain the rough idle.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:38   #3 (permalink)
Not a Twink

EA falcon man is correct

I'd be putting my money on the headgasket !
honer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 02:03   #4 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

yep, I would be betting my left rock on it

Check the block for ANY stains of coolant......there aint many places out the back of the donk where water can escape from!

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 03:24   #5 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

Thanx guys, i just needed to confirm that incase we started taking the head off for nothing. :) Look like we got some work ahead of us alex
Old 05-08-2003, 05:28   #6 (permalink)
Yes, fords still kick

Just a quick note when you are putting the head back on. Be VERY careful that you don't damage the new gasket, because that is very annoying. I am speaking from past experience here, it's not very joyous to fire it up and watch white clouds pour out of the exhaust because you damaged the new gasket!
Old 05-08-2003, 06:59   #7 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

make sure it's not the welch plug at the back of the engine where your water is coming from. Very common for these things to have head gasket problems though.
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 10:29   #8 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

Yes, i've considered the welch plug at the back aswell, so I'm now led to believe that it may be a combination of both a busted head gasket and deteriorating welsh plugs. Has anyone here changed that particular plug at the back before? Can it be accessed without hassle or am I gunna look foward to removing the whole engine block or sumthin?

About checkin spark plugs for water vapour, how can you actually tell? We removed the old spark plugs and the 3rd and 4th ones were jet black, while the second one was white. Any tell tale signs here???
Old 05-08-2003, 10:38   #9 (permalink)

They have that "just washed" look, no deposits, nice and clean like, steam cleaned if you like.

Careful removing the old gasket material, don't leave any scrape marks, or guess what?
Old 05-08-2003, 18:41   #10 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

Yes indeedy we have some work ahead of us. TopGhia, I won't be scraping the gasket remains off with a chisel or anything like that, I'll be making it all nice and clean with the wire brush on the angle grinder. Did that a couple weeks ago on the LandCruiser when we changed the head gasket in that, and no problems yet.

I've been reading around the place and some have said to use AU head bolts and AU head gasket, as they're more reliable or some thing like that. Is this true? Will we benefit by using these, and will the go on no problems?

Alex
The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech